Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camaro 6.5L TD project

Default Camaro 6.5L TD project

Well, i've spent alot of time on thedieselpage, the classroom, the shop, the internet and behind the welder's helmet to get where I am now.

I started this project with just some quick notes I had on a piece of paper 3 years ago. Everyone told me I was crazy so i forgot about it. I put off even considering the idea until I discovered the 6.2L and 6.5L engine family. I had just sold my clean 1999 Camaro Z28 to a kid who later totaled it. I was looking to start a new project.

I was sorting through some books and worksheets from auto tech school and found the chicken scratch I had laid out for a diesel powered Camaro. That was it, I knew what had to be done.

picked this up for a bargain...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rafedial1; 11-28-2008 at 08:00.
    Late Model Specialties
    94 Camaro-6.5-4L80E-Holset vgt-WMI-DB2-3.42-stock longblock-8,500mi+
    96 Silverado C2500 ECSB-vin "S"-6.5-4L80E-3.42-FTB-relocated PMD-travel cruiser-203,000 mi+

Thumbs up

Sounds like an interesting project! Is there enough room in to fit the 6.2/6.5?

As I recall from watching a "Horsepower TV" episode on Spike some time ago that the Camaro engines are R&R'ed by dropping it out the bottom.

Jim

Sounds interesting! I'll be watching this to see how you progress with it. I've seen a couple Vettes with GM diesels in them.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

This is after I tore her down a bit. The engine is the 3.4L V6 + 4L60E auto trans with 119,000 miles. The car is originally from Arkansas, very clean underneath, lightly optioned, drum rear brakes, hardtop (for strength). Wire harness is all labeled to sell the engine and trans.
    Late Model Specialties
    96 Silverado C2500 ECSB-vin "S"-6.5-4L80E-3.42-FTB-relocated PMD-travel cruiser-203,000 mi+

nice project, and good luck with it, though that generation camaro is not to my liking.
    93 GMC Sierra 2500
    6.5L TD 5 spd Manual trans Sold

97 Chevy Silverado CrewCab K3500 Dually
    6.5L TD Auto

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Sounds like an interesting project! Is there enough room in to fit the 6.2/6.5?

As I recall from watching a "Horsepower TV" episode on Spike some time ago that the Camaro engines are R&R'ed by dropping it out the bottom.

Jim
    Thanks Jim, the 6.5L will fit with some pretty extensive modifications.

Engine and trans came out pretty easily. Leave the wheels on and it rolls around nicely.

Cody
    Last edited by Rafedial1; 11-28-2008 at 19:40.
    Late Model Specialties

Default Camaro

Looks like it will be an interesting build. I noticed in the last picture the front of another red car. Any pics of that?
    We are building a strip Camaro, an 86 RS. Have a 350 bored .060 over and are thinking of twin turbocharging it, but this looks more interesting!
    What kind of tranny are you looking to run behind it?
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Looking at those pictures and I was just about to ask if the Camaro was front wheel drive these days...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

NutNbutGMC Guest

I like the metal building off down in the field.

The car is completely stripped and ready for metal work. Have the dimensions for the 6.5L to build motor mounts and correctly align the engine. Added dynamat sound deadener for vibrations, road noise.

Cody
    Late Model Specialties

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit Diesel View Post
    Looks like it will be an interesting build. I noticed in the last picture the front of another red car. Any pics of that?
    We are building a strip Camaro, an 86 RS. Have a 350 bored .060 over and are thinking of twin turbocharging it, but this looks more interesting!
    What kind of tranny are you looking to run behind it?
    Yeah, the red car next to the engine/trans is a 50th Ann. Z06, my father's car.

I am going to use the 4L80E since the donor vehicle will most likely come with one.
    Late Model Specialties

Found a 1994 Chevrolet C2500 2WD with the 6.5L TD and 4L80E trans. The truck has 239,000 miles on her. Originally a Texas truck. VIN checked out ok and I received a whole stack of repair receipts. The best receipt being that is had a GM Goodwrench Crate engine installed in late 90's. The means it is the 506 block with the 756 cylinder heads. I've been told it has had some type of revision to make it stronger??? Then in 2002 the longblock was rebuilt and also the injection pump 5068 was rebuilt by a reputable Diesel machine shop in Indiana. Truck also had the remote PMD and upgraded cooling system. The pics are after it was tore down and the engine/trans isolated. So the rebuilt engine has just under 60,000 miles on it. According to the previous owner and the receipts I received with it, the truck had MANY problems. However it was driven home from mid-land Indiana to Northern Ohio with no issues.

Checked out the mains and rods for wear/clearance, then re-torqued. No signs of sludge, metal flakes, or cracks in the main webbing or otherwise.

Due to the all the problems with the DS4 and the simplicity of the DB2 I will be going with mechanical injection.

Engine will be solid mounted to the K-member.

Truck smoked white for second on startup, then cleared. Is this a bad injector symptom? Fuel leaking down into cylinders?

Does anyone know the weight of a dressed 6.5L TD with accessories, minus the turbocharger?
    Late Model Specialties

Truck smoked white for second on startup, then cleared. Is this a bad injector symptom? Fuel leaking down into cylinders?

Does anyone know the weight of a dressed 6.5L TD with accessories, minus the turbocharger?
    A little white smoke at a cold start is normal this time of year. It should quickly disappear.

A dressed 6.5L TD weighs 835-lbs.

Jim

Thumbs up

Hello Rafedial1,

You have a very nice project!! I have a `77 chevy nova with a 6.5 turbo diesel. When you tune that 6.5 right you have lots of power, the best 0 to 60 time and the best mpg!!

here are some video`s from my nova..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXi3AVxv7vc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fFj6r1g-8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLtEXkLO-XE
    Chevy Nova sedan 1977
    6.5 HD diesel/ 4L80e
    Gear drive timing set
    Ram air, E.P.S. stainless steel exhaust
    2.73 axle ratio/ 205-65-R15 tires
    new projeckt: Dodge W200 with Detroit 6V-92

Wow, these conversions are more popular than i thought!

That 6.5L Nova is interesting! thanks for the videos. it has motivated me to work even harder on the project.

One day I hope to spread the conversion bug to anyone I can, but it looks like it has already spread across the world. The Netherlands, right? the locals must go crazy over that 6.5L Nova. Looks great!

Couple questions for my project.

Can the CDR valve be vented to atmosphere?
    I am going to wire manual momentary glow plug switch. I am using a snow plow solenoid (high current) with a push button switch. Sound right?

Here are some pictures of the motor mount mockup/fab progress. Unfortunately the engine sits too low, to forward, to close to many parts of the car, the steering rack wont work, etc. Looks like i have to fabricate a second set. But it fits!!!!

Ohh, I am attempting to build the complete car by myself. I love a challenge but I am beginning to understand just how difficult this project will be. I have had experience with gassers, mostly LSX based vehicles, some carb'ed applications, and computer tuning (HpTuners) gassers and diesels. I know the 4th gen Camaro/Firebirds like the back of my hand; the weaknesses and strengths. I just want the durability/torque/mileage of a diesel combined with the agility/handling of a Camaro.

The Camaro will be used in road racing, drag racing, but be able to DD just as well. Is that too far-fetched to accomplish?
    Last edited by Rafedial1; 12-06-2008 at 12:14.
    Late Model Specialties

If you figure out how to shoe horn a turbo into that space, please let me know. Been the major roadblock I have had since starting with the Buick. Now that I am starting on the Cadillac, a turbo is now manditory as it will be used to haul the new RV.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Arrow

There's no rule that says it has to go under the hood. Stick it in the glove box, if you have to.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

convert2diesel, a turbo is a nice addition for towing.

I agree with Dmaxmaverick. A turbo can be placed anywhere. A company called Squires Turbo Systems builds some wild setups. Even a twin kit for the Y-body's. They locate them in the rear of the vehicle for less under hood heat and especially space. Turbo lag and lack of dependability are the downsides to remote mount turbochargers. I will be doing some version of this...

Progress:
    Motor mounts were redesigned and I am happy with the placement so far. I am going to throw the 80E up there and see where I am at for driveline angle(s) and clearances. Front suspension is getting an overhaul with joints, ends, and poly bushings. Rear axle is a whole different story. A couple companies sell bolt in 9 inchers and 12 bolts but they are $$$$. Believe it or not this is a budget build. I wish I had a sponsor.

Car will get a fuel cell and some batteries relocated.
    Last edited by Rafedial1; 12-07-2008 at 20:25.
    Late Model Specialties

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    There's no rule that says it has to go under the hood. Stick it in the glove box, if you have to.
    Wouldn't need the heater then, just place the hot side in the core box and route some of the puffer side through the vents .

I agree with Dmaxmaverick. A turbo can be placed anywhere. A company called Squires Turbo Systems builds some wild setups. Even a twin kit for the Y-body's. They locate them in the rear of the vehicle for less under hood heat and especially space. Turbo lag and lack of dependability are the downsides to remote mount turbochargers. I will be doing some version of this...
    Originally looked at these systems four years ago, even had an exhaust guy design the pipes, but as this is my daily driver, plus the environment I live in, we estimated the life expectency to be around a month and a half. Salt, and road crap coupled with periodic shock cooling of the hot side (salt plus ice=water) would make short work of any turbo. Not only that, we couldn't find a logical location for the intake side that wasn't exposed to the same things.

Have a little more room under the hood on the Caddy and am looking at locating the turbo in the same location as the H1 and van (center mount) but will fab up my own mounts. The vans especially are prone to heat problems at the rear of the engine so will try to alieviate some of the problems using ceramics and heat shielding. The stock side mount passenger side manifold hits the upper control arm dead on. Would have to cut out the front runner all together to get it to fit.

I am still entertaining the idea of using a blower but have yet to find one with enough volume that is low enough to fit under the hood. Puttting a power bulge on a Caddy just doesn't seem right. Can fab up a custom water cross over/thermost housing but still need enough air to give me about 375 to 400 ft/lbs. of torgue at 2,000 RPM to do the job. Looking at the Eaton blowers but the M90 is the only one that will fit. Would have to spin it at max just to get 10PSI. At that speed, noise would be an issue and I doubt it would flow enough air. Any of the axial ones (mechanical turbo) have reliability problems and need much higher compressor speeds to do the same job.

Good luck on your conversion. Looks like you have your act together. Trust me, the reactions on the street when you pull up beside someone making all the wrong noises is worth all the effort. With the wieght and profile advantages of your car, if you don't get 40+ MPG, your doing something wrong.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Cool project!

I've done two diesel conversions, but they were both pretty straight-forward, into trucks that could have come with the 6.2L from the factory, so there was no real fabrication required.

How come you solid-mounted the engine to the k-member? Won't that create some serious vibrations through the whole vehicle? I know that when I replaced my rubber mounts with poly mounts, the extra vibration was very evident. I can't imagine running solid mounts.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter