Thread: "Heavy Duty" Clutch Slave Cylinder?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Heavy Duty" Clutch Slave Cylinder?

Hi All

I'm new here... found the site after I recently purchased a 1995 Chevy K2500 4x4 Ext Cab with 6.5 Turbo Diesel and NV4500 Manual Transmission.

This is a great forum! I've learned a lot just from lurking here for the last few weeks.

I really love the truck. The original owner was an older gentleman who used the truck to tow a 5 th Wheel trailer. It is in very good condition for a 25 year old truck. I'm the third owner of the truck. The PO was a kid with a family who sold it as he was getting strapped for cash.

I had to put tires on it and get seals put in the rear differential and front axles when I bought it, but still feel I got a good deal on a good truck.

Now however, I'm trying to solve a problem that seems to be common with the NV4500 transmission--hard shifting. When it gets warm it gets hard to shift, especially 1st gear... i have to physically force the gear lever. When I try to put it in reverse it often grinds the gears. (This year truck supposedly has synchro in Reverse.) Also, the clutch doesn't disengage until the pedal is only an inch or so off the floor.

I had my shop look at the clutch hydraulic system and they said it was fine. (They also said the transmission was fine). The person I bought it from said the transmission had been rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago (it has 137,000 miles on it now). If so they didn't bother to replace the throw out bearing as it's got a bit of a hum to it.

I thought the shifting problem might be due to whoever rebuilt the transmission not putting the right oil in it. I know the Syn-torq oil is no longer available without taking out a 2nd mortgage, so I bought a gallon of Redline synthetic 75W85 GL-4 oil off Amazon. The container says it's for the NV4500 so I'm hoping it will help. I took the PTO cover off the tranny so I could clean out any oil that didn't go out through the drain plug. There wasn't any metal particles, but there was a dark film on the inside of the tranmission... kind of what you see on an automatic tranny with some miles on it. I used high temp oil resistant RTV on the PTO cover, and buttoned it up last night. I wanted to wait 24 hours before putting the oil in.

While working on the transmission, I noticed that I could easily push the loose end of the slave cylinder . The bolts are tight, it's just the plastic housing deflecting. The thought occurred to me that, besides probably having air in the lines, the slave cylinder may be deflecting when I push in the clutch. It probably gets worse after the engine and exhaust system are warmed up and softened the plastic.

I looked for an alternative slave cylinder, and found an aluminum slave cylinder on several websites. It's the Rhino Pac S0461 Slave cylinder. The application says it's for a solid flywheel on the 6.5 diesel and that it "must Use Flywheel 167126". It also shows it fitting many other 1500/2500/2500 GM trucks incl the 5.7 HD, the 7.2? (old 454) etc.

It looks just like the plastic slave cylinder, but it's aluminum. Has anyone used this on a dual mass flywheel? Is there any reason it won't work on a DMF?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give some background to show I tried to do my due diligence.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Utah Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images