Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dmax into 93 Crew

Default Dmax into 93 Crew

Just got home with a Dmax/Allison that came out of a freight damaged 05 truck (zero miles). Scary to think what's ahead but I'm in no hurry. It's going into my 93 that was originally a 454, converted to 6.5 before I purchased it, seized due to STUPID quick release oil line popping off.

It has all accessories, Allison attached, wiring harness including cab fuse box, complete dash (except stereo), computers, rad, intercooler with piping, exhaust downpipe, transfer case, front d-shaft, and fuel tank. I know there's more I'll need but I think it's a good start. I'd have liked to have the whole truck but this was affordable.

Part of the reason for starting the post is to share info with anyone else whose doing this and get help from those who've done it. I have Jim's book of course and am sure it'll be a huge help.

A couple things I have to work out are the dash, steering column, and tranny linkage. I understand the 05 dash would be tough to mod for the 93 but somewhere between (98 - 01?) would go in and accept the 05 instrument panel? Does this sound right?

Maybe an 05 steering column for the linkage? I guess there will be wiring issues for the ignition wipers, cruise.

I won't really get into it until fall but would like to scout for the extra parts I'll need.

Any others out there with a conversion disorder? :}
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    454 converted to 6.5 TD (siezed)
    5 sp man

Lightbulb

I recommend a 1995-98 style dash, along with the internal dash supports and related vent/defroster ducting. Should be fairly inexpensive, and widely available from just about any salvage yard.

Jim

Thanks Jim.
    Looks like there's not too many on the forum doing this at the moment. I'm hoping there will be others so I don't have to bug you too much with these questions.

Given that I'm switching from manual to auto I'll need to change to a steering column with auto linkage. I'm guessing the linkage for the Alison differs from the GM automatics. Do you know what year range would be best?

Can anyone recommend an engine leveler and tell me where to connect to the blocks of the Duramax and the 6.5? I guess a repair manual would say but I don't have one for the Duramax yet and I want to get it off my trailer.
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    5 sp man

Arrow

Get a complete steering column assembly matching the model year of your engine package. This column will fit the 1995-98 style dash, and will make a conversion easier by providing the correct electrical interface and trans shifting.

The brackets in the above photo are the factory engine lift brackets shipped with all of the Duramax engines when the y leave the DMAX facility in Ohio. The larger one on the left is bolted to the rear passenger side of the engine, and the smaller bracket is bolted to the engine just outboard of the A/C compressor.

The above photo shows the front engine lift bracket in the approximate position where it is bolted onto the engine.

The above photo shows the factory rear lift bracket used to install/remove the engine in a vehicle. Your engine should have this bracket.

Jim

Thanks again, especially for taking the time for the photos.

It seems there's some differences between the years. The front driver side mount point is the same. The rear passenger mount looks different. I included a photo of mine. Sorry I don't know how to paste it here, it's in the photo album titled "lift point".

It looks like the person removing the engine tried to lift it with one bolt in the front lift point as there's a broken bolt in one of the two threaded holes. I wondered about lifting on the accessory frame but it actually looks very strong.

You can see in my picture there's an exhaust pipe with water cooling shroud running forward that I don't see in your pics, and yours appears to have a vacuum operated boost control rod, mine has an electric motor control. I've ordered a service manual and look forward to learning more about the motor.

I'm going to try to round up brackets. Maybe a dealer has spares from engine replacements. If not I can fabricate something without too much trouble.

With the tranny in place it would be a lot of weight on the rear lift point. It would be a shear force, not tension on the bolt and the bracket looks plenty strong so maybe it's OK. I'll have to decide whether to separate them. It would be rather nice if they could remain intact.

I'm going to document with photos as I go so I can be of help if someone else starts a similar project.
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    5 sp man

Default Questions for Jim.

OK I'm getting started on the conversion. My 6.5 engine and drivetrain are out. It'll be interesting to look inside the engine. I expect I can sell some parts like the injector pump, nv4500 5 speed and transfer case. I fabricated some lift brackets that work fine lifting the Duramax/Allison except that the weight caused my hoist wheels to sink into my asphalt driveway! I think I'll need to separate them for the install.

I'll be buying a 2001 or newer steering column and linkage to fit the Allison from Spalding in Spokane (I'm 20 min away).

Jim, you recommended a 95-98 dash, but in your conversion maunual a 2001 dash was modified to fit your 88 - 98 truck.

I want to use the 05 instrument cluster I have. Your manual indicates that this intrument cluster would fit with fairly minor modification in a 95-98 dash so this should be OK.

Here's my questions:

Do you know if the 95-98 transfer case switches will interface OK with the 2005 transfer case?

Does the 95-98 dash bolt in without mods and is that why you recommend this over modifying my 05 unit as you did?

Thanks
    Arlie

(Anyone else out there doing this?)
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    5 sp man

Default Great Project

This is a great project that you are going for! You must have the time and the guts to take this on. Bravo! Please take step by step photos as those will be of great value in the future. If you are anal like I am you might keep a journal. I have not done anything like this since putting a 427 in a 57 Chevy years ago. That was a simple project in comparison to all of the technical details that you must tend to.

The longest journeys begin with a single step.

Best Regards for your project.

Jim
    Houston, Texas

Will be following your progress. Best of luck!

Out of curiosity, I've heard tales of these "freight damaged vehicles" but where does one go to find one?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Default conversion

Yes it will be quite a project. Jim has blazed a trail and produced quite a nice manual to follow. Without that I would not have taken it on. I also recently built a home with a shop separate from my garage, and I have no pressured time line so I think I can enjoy this one.

I'm taking some pics and will document things that will supplement what Jim has produced. I hope someone else will join in!

I got the powetrain from a guy in Seattle who changed his mind about doing a retrofit of a much older vehicle. He got it from a salvager in Minnesota who at the time was selling online, I think on Ebay.

Right now I'm considering upgrading the entire interior. Mine is quite plain with a vinyl bench seat and the headliner's falling down. Since I'm changing the dash, I'll see if I can get the rest of the interior to match. That is if it fits. I think interiors would interchange up to 2000 but have to verify that. Crew cab stuff is a little scarce.
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    5 sp man

Arrow

Here's my questions:

Do you know if the 95-98 transfer case switches will interface OK with the 2005 transfer case?

Does the 95-98 dash bolt in without mods and is that why you recommend this over modifying my 05 unit as you did?
    I don't know if the 95-98 4WD switch would work with the 2001+ HD transfer case. I doubt it. You may be able to operate the HD pushbutton transfer case manually by simply replacing the electric servo module with a lever linkage- but I'd recommend verifying before committing to it.

Of course there'll be some mods when installing a 95-98 dash in your '93. But it'll be a whole lot easier than a 2001+ dash.... The 95-98 dash uses a cross-bar that runs side to side beneath the dash to provide support for the dash. Your 93 doesn't have one. The 95-98 factory cross-bar will likely bolt in with minor mods.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Because you have the experience, I think I'll take your advise. I do wonder though, is your recommendation purely intended to save time and effort or do you think there will be a better end result?

I'm belaboring this one a bit as I see it as the most important decision in the project. The actual installation of the powertrain does not present much in the way of choices. This option entails mating the 05 powertrain wiring harness with a 95-98 dash, and this dash to a 93 truck. Maybe less work than using the 05 dash but It's kind of "no man's land" since it's not described in your manual. I'm not afraid to improvise but experience has also taught me to be careful about re-inventing wheels. I'm sure you've factored this in your advise, so likely I'll be "going where no man has gone before".

Arlie
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    5 sp man

Arrow

Arlie, DmaxMaverick is parting out a 1995 K1500 pickup, and is advertising in the classified ad forum. I'd bet you could get a sweet deal on the dash/door panels/etc.

I recommend using a 1995-98 dash because it would be so much easier. It took me more than a month of evenings and weekends to get the 2001 dash in. A weekend should be enough time to swap in a 95 model-year dash.

However, I've had the truck to a few auto shows, and to the non-diesel enthusiast crowd, the dash drew more attention than any other modification or truck feature.

The choice is yours.... Lotsa work or not quite so much....

Jim

Thanks Jim.
    I've left a message with DmaxMaverick regarding the parts.
    Maybe if I can get a picture of the front and back of the door panels I can figure out if they'll fit.
    Arlie
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    5 sp man

Arrow

I replied to your PM, and will get some pic's up today. The sheet metal between the 93 and 95 didn't change much, if any, so the door panels should work with little or no modification. The door handles are different, but all the hardware is there, and even has new(er) inside handles (which are break-prone). I'll provide what you need for it. I haven't pulled a panel, but will for the pic's. Give me a little time, and I should have the pic's up by tonight.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default door panels etc

DmaxMaverick and I are trying to figure out if door panels, power windows & locks will interchange between 93 and 95. Pics are posted in our galleries of the doors with panels off. It appears there is some sheet metal difference above the door handles.

Anyone have experience with this?

Arlie
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    5 sp man

Arrow

Through the years I have seen numerous photos of GM truck interiors with captions in various truck mags that indicated the owner upgraded the interior of his 1988-94 truck with 1995 or newer dashes and door panels. I would venture a guess that the swap isn't too difficult.

Jim

Default door panels, engine lift brackets

Thanks Jim. We're thinking along those lines. It would be nice to hear from someone who had done it but if not, I plan to go ahead and give it a shot anyway.

For anyone interested, I posted pics of the lift brackets I fabricated for the Dmax with Allison attached. It's a heavy combo (my hoist wheels sunk into my asphalt) and these held up fine but there was a little pucker factor going on and I can't say I'm completely comfortable recommending this approach. They have to be split anyway so I'd recommend lifting them separately unless you have the factory brackets.

Arlie
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    5 sp man

Default body lift and or suspension lift?

Before I get the engine in, I want to do a 1" body lift since Jim's experience indicates that would make the fan line up, thereby requiring no fan trimming.

My research shows no 1" lifts for sale. They start at 2". I think 2" would defeat my purpose.Being a Canadian, hockey pucks came to mind. They are 1" thick by 3" diameter vulcanized rubber. I also thought of buying a 2" or 3" kit and cutting the nylon spacers down. Then I'd have the other hardware bits and intruction set that comes with it.

I'm also considering a small suspension lift so I can increase tire size. Mainly this would be for looks, but I'm also geared low and might improve economy with a taller tire.

Any suggestions here would be appreciated. I don't want a monster, I just don't like the small tires, especially on a 4x4 crew.

Anyone got pics of their rig that fits this description with the lift and tire/wheel details used to create it?

Also, still hoping for someone who has put 88-93 door panels into a 95-98.

Arlie
    1993 3500 Crew Cab 4X4
    5 sp man

Arrow

The 2001-current 2500HD's and 3500's (2wd and 4wd) have an OEM 2" body lift. This was primarily to accomodate the Allison tranny.

I suggest a 2" body lift. If you need the pucks, you could use current OEM's. I don't think 1" would be worth messing with. Yours being a 4x4, it wouldn't hurt to be a little higher, but just the same, you wouldn't notice the difference between 1" and 2". Another reason is the PTO. The Allison tranny has PTO capability (left or right side), but can't be accessed with too little clearance. If there is any possibility you may consider using the PTO in the future, more lift now would be in your best interest.

Another possibility is the Classic 3500HD. They also have a body lift, and all the parts will match up to your truck.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

Lill Red doesn't have any sort of lift. However, a 1" lift would help with engine clearance, and would be best for those who want to their truck to remain close to stock in appearance. You could have aluminum spacers machined for not a lot. 1" lift would make it easier to get the engine fan exactly centered in the fan shroud and provide a little more under-hood clearance. A lift of any sort is not necessary just for the Allison.

Incidentally, the LB7 fits the 1988-98 C/K easier than an LLY or LBZ, because the air intake & IC components sit higher on the later engines (reducing hood clearance).

Jim