Thread: 1995 Turbo 6.5

Default 1995 Turbo 6.5

My 1995 Silverado 6.5 Turbo has developed a problem that I could use some help on please. It has 290000 Km's and yesterday as I accelerate I'm hearing a whistling sound. When I take my foot off the accelerator, no noise. I "suspect" it may be the turbo (original). My question is: is there a fix for these turbos or are they simply a replacement? I have a friend (mechanic) going to have look at the truck this morning.
    Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Doug
    1995 Chevrolet 2500 Silverado 4x4 with 6.5 Turbo Diesel. purchased new and now has 280000 Km's. Have used Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants for about 5 years now.

if you never heard the turbo wistle before,i would suspect an airleak post turbo,intake gasket,plenum bolts loose , hole in turbo to snorkel hose,etc.
    check belt tensioner pulley for bad bearing.
    98 GMC sierra 2500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 252000 km. needs new engine, next project
    95 GMC sierra LE 2500 ext cab sh box 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 328.000 km. my wife's truck .remote pmd on cooler
    89 GMC sierra SLE 1500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.2 720000 km engine swap at 665000 km because of broken oil cooler line. 6 bolt wheels.
    Waldon wheelloader repowered with a 6.2 na

Arrow

It sounds like you may have an intake pressure leak. Check the connection between the turbo compressor and intake, the intake plenum cover, and manifold to head. Any of these can "whistle" if they leak. The rubber coupling between the turbo compressor and intake cover are a common leak location. If the clamp loosens or the hose is damaged, it will leak. In most cases, evidence of oil spray will be present in the area of a leak (from the crankcase vent oil vapor). An exhaust leak can also whistle, if it's somewhere between the head and turbine housing. A failed/failing turbo won't normally "whistle" (because of a failure), although it can during normal operation.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com