Thread: 1996 6.5TD Black Smoke/Rough Running

Default 1996 6.5TD Black Smoke/Rough Running

Need some help from anyone in North Atlanta, Ga. I own a 1996 Suburban,6.5 TD, 4X4, 220+K miles, and the engine is running very rough on start-up. The engine starts-up with NO problem, but blows lots of black smoke and run erratic, as if the fuel peddle has a mind of its own. Its almost impossible to maintain a constant speed on the fuel accelerator, for the truck wants to slow down, or take off. When it accelerates, it blow lots of black smoke!

Question, is this a fuel injection pump issue, or may I have an injector stuck? I do not suspect the FSD, for I have switched them already and nothing. Second, I hooked-up an OBD2 code reader, and NO code being shown.

Last, is there any GM dealer in north Atlanta, GA, or anyone who can diagnose my truck for me? Although, I suspect I will not be able to drive the vehicle to them, for it really runs bad. Also, what is the best company to buy a complete rebuild 5.6 from? I just want to have options.

Any help would be most appreciated. My truck has been down for 6 months now. If I can not fix it very soon, the wife told me to sell it.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

All the best -

Ed
    Murphy, NC
    figueroa@ellijay.com
    706-455-3219 Cell
    888-231-2151 Pager

Be careful with dealers. Most Chevy dealers in the Charlotte area around here look at my 6.5 like its a Ford.
    -'98 Chevrolet 6.5 TD stock extended cab K1500 4x4
    -Dad: '06 CRD Liberty with a Predator performance module

Default For Sale

I think I will just sell it, if someone offers me 6K for as is.

Thanks

Ed

I'm having the same problem with my 1997 2500 with 270k, no codes either. I had to bite the bullet, I've just ordered a new injection pump. Hopeing to install it in the next week or so. I'll let you know if I fixes it. I've spoken to a bunch of people about it, it all seems to point to the IP. It sounds like it will be fun to install but I figured if it doesn't fix it, at 270k and new IP wont be a bad investment. Good luck.

You might try checking your cat converter to see if it's clogged. It happens on them. I have seen a number of them cause a lot of black smoke and power loss etc.

If you take it loose at the downpipe end you can look in the converter and see if there is a soot build up. Also drive it with the converter loose. That will really tell you if it;s clogged.
    96 6.5 ext cab C2500 short bed, 2 IP rep. under warranty. Came with Dual Thermostats & HO water pump,Tweaked fan clutch engages @200, Kennedy exhaust, Heath Turbo Boost, Heath ECM
    John Deere Tractor (It likes cetane improvers also)diesel65j@netscape.net (not always monitored)

sounds to me like a problem with the waste gate.
    96 6.5 turbo motor in a 97 3/4 ton. open exhaust, manual turbo boost, marine injectors and new glow plugs and new glow plug controller relay, also new pump drver heat sink mounted/relocated. high flow air cleaner, no vacuume pump. opend intake up with every thing removed except erg tower. 03dmax edge module high flow aircleaner and big exhaust. 06 dmax stock. diesel xmark mower! no mods yet hehe

Erratic fuel delivery and uncontrollable engine speed is more than likely a bad pump. Many have tried to replace peripherals (including APP module etc) without success. A new pump and CLEAN well additized fuel is waht I would prescribe.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by IronChevy View Post
    I'm having the same problem with my 1997 2500 with 270k, no codes either. I had to bite the bullet, I've just ordered a new injection pump. Hopeing to install it in the next week or so. I'll let you know if I fixes it. I've spoken to a bunch of people about it, it all seems to point to the IP. It sounds like it will be fun to install but I figured if it doesn't fix it, at 270k and new IP wont be a bad investment. Good luck.
    What was your final solution to your fix? Mine is exactly the same.