Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amg P400

I have a few questions.

-With the steel crank do you think the factory harmonic balancer is a non issue?

-Did they use a timing chain?

-Do the heads work with the van style centermount turbo intake?
    Project K-1
    75 GMC Jimmy with a 97 H-1 Hummer drivetrain on 1 ton axles.

I am not clear on your harmonic question... this part should always be in mint condition, whether you have a cast or a forged crank. Dampner should be replaced if worn or questionable.

A standard timing chain was used on the P400.

The heads will work with the center mount turbo intake as this engine was designed to drop into HMVV's. I believe these are identical... don't quote me!

I would refer you to the members area article: http://www.thedieselpage.com/members...rketsharec.htm
    This includes a side view of the center mount turbo setup.

good point on the balancer, some times it's hard to tell the condition of the balancer if you aren't the original owner..

I guess the timing chains are good enough

did you have to change the heads to a side mount turbo style??
    I have civy H-1 center mount turbo engine currently and its block is the time bomb model so I will need a new long block eventualy..
    Project K-1

Heads are identical. I noticed that some intake gaskets are thicker than others... which can throw the geometry off a hair.

Heads all interchange from what I have experienced.
    Cheers! Mike

Interesting I thought the heads were different for the centermount turbo "something about the angle of the intake"
    Project K-1

What is your mileage like now?

I haven't been tracking the mileage as I have had the 11.5' Bigfoot camper on the back for the past few months. Pointless trying to determine mileage while hauling a barn on the back.

I ran it over a scale at the end of my last trip:
    Front axle: 1800 KG (3968 lbs)
    Rear axle: 2800 KG (6173 lbs)

I know I'm doing better than a couple of friend's truck/camper units... as we have filled up before and after fishing trips. They have gas units though.

I'll have the camper on through the end of the year. After I pull it off, I'll burn a full tank without weight and get back to you then.

The rig is running great!

I recently replaced both truck batteries in the truck. The camper's 4D battery killed the truck batteries. We camp in the boonies for days without power.

I installed 2 interstate 6v Golf Cart batteries in the camper, and added a 120amp isolator to prevent future leaching issues.

Cheers!

Good Day!

"Pointless trying to determine mileage while hauling a barn on the back." I would respectfully disagree, although certainly whether you check mpg or not is entirely up to you.

Hauling loads, including aerodynamic loads, is where diesels really shine. My former neighbor pulls a 48' gooseneck race trailer. He got ~ 7 mpg with his 454 Chev, & now gets ~ 10 mpg with his 7.3 PS. That doesn't sound like much of an improvement, but invert the numbers. He used to burn ~ 14 gallons to go 100 miles, now he burns ~ 10 gallons. That's a 29% drop in fuel consumption, which is a huge improvement. Of course, with today's prices, it's still costing more to pull with his diesel, but hopefully that will return to some normalcy before too long.

Blessings!
    82 6.2NA K15 4X4 pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, 335K+ "In Rust We Trust" (parked)
    95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, > ¼ million miles - gone
    95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, > ¼ million miles
    93 6.5TD 3500 4X4 1T crew cab LB pickup, 230k miles

Oops... what I meant to say was pointless to determine optimal mileage. The numbers would be useful comparatively... so you are quite correct!

I have to pull the rig through 30 minutes of start-stop traffic before entering the freeway... so everything is relative.

I was considering a fuel meter similar to what they install on marine applications... computers provide point to point and long-term data. Just another project.

I'll see what I can provide in the interm . Thanks for the reply.

Good Day!

"I'll see what I can provide in the interm." I'd suggest you collect mpg data if that's what you want to do; if you do, sharing them here can be helpful to some of us. When we pulled our little enclosed snowmobile trailer (like SM727TA2 except 25' long [here]), we always got 12 - 16 mpg at legal speeds, 14 mpg with no winds or few hills. I got a big kick out of knowing I was using LOTS less fuel than if I had a gasser.

Blessings!
    (signature in previous post)

Quote Originally Posted by JetBoater View Post
    I haven't been tracking the mileage as I have had the 11.5' Bigfoot camper on the back for the past few months. Pointless trying to determine mileage while hauling a barn on the back.

Cheers!
    I feel your pain - I shove a motorhome 8' wide and 11' tall (not counting the roof thingies), but I average over 10mpg - more like 10.5, on the AMG 6500 Economizer. This is ~15% better than the stock 6.5L, and the extra power is appreciated.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Lightbulb Up date

New information has sort of died on this thread. Can anyone update it? Have these engines proven to be as durable as thought? Do they really have that much increased power? What kind of mileage do they get, particularly towing or pushing large RVs? Have they come out with a workable pan yet?

Just thought it was time to see some updates on this since there should be some real road miles on them by now.

Thanks

I have 67K on mine in <4 years, and the M/H hasn't lost any weight. No issues. A Sun Coast Converters magic-wand-waving on the TC and tranny bumped fuel economy to 11.7 mpg. There's no comparison (@ 230 HP) with the stock engine.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my pickup and wondering how difficult it will be to bolt it all up. Sure sounds like the engine is the way to go.

My truck is only used for recreation and has about 12,000 km on it at this point.

It's sad to see it in my driveway most of the time, sitting for weeks between usage.

I just came back from a 5 day camping trip, and running as good as the day my P400 went into service. No oil leaks either!

It does heat up on long steep grades, but cools down quickly. This has not proved to be a problem to date.

The horsepower hasn't changed... dyno'd at 215 hp, 470 lb/ft of torque. I pull a 21' boat in addition to my 11.5 ' camper.. so it is pulling what I feel is it's maximum load. The motor doesn't seem to work any harder with over a ton of camper, but it feels the additional boat on hills.

The truck is cheaper to run than my 2001 R/T Durango... but what isn't. I have been tracking the fuel/fill/mileage, so will do the math and come back with some numbers.

So, who are the sources for a P400? I seem to recall that Penninsular is one?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

I compared a few trips and the overall mileage from the past year of driving.

The fuel mileage was 20.8 L/100km or 11.3 miles/Gallon on last years fishing trip. The same trip this year was was 19.7 L/100km or 11.9 miles/Gallon. It appears my mileage is getting a bit better.

The overall mileage was 10.9 miles per gallon. I had the camper off for a few months to haul some wood, but this is overall with the camper and/or boat.

I have a heavy foot, and am not shy about working the motor. I am sure the mileage would improve if I didn't like to accelerate with the rest of the cars on the road.

I purchased the upper intake for my intercooler from Pennisular.

I bought the P400 from W W Williams, Defense Business Development. This was direct from General Engine Products Franklin Ohio plant. You can order the long block with 18:1 or 20:1 compression.

The oil pan was the only issue to consider prior to ordering an engine... everything else bolts up without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBoater View Post
    Thanks for the positive feedback Robyn. I don't mind paying good money to have a craftsman do the job right and in a timely fashion.

The Moroso oil pickup is going in tomorrow. Hopefully I can provide some install shots after that.
    Mike
    Mike, I'm in the process of putting a P400 in my '95 K3500, so will be attempting to do the same oil pan that you have. Can you tell me which Moroso oil pickup you used?

Thanks, Mike

I don't recall which number of Moroso pickup it was, but it doesn't really matter.

I only used the end off it and welded it to the stock P400 tube.. if you do the same, you will need to adjust/rotate the tube into the correct position.

Ensure this tube is secured once it has been fabricated.

Cheers,
    Mike