Thread: Thanks for 6 great years LB7, Hello LBZ!!!

Smile Thanks for 6 great years LB7, Hello LBZ!!!

Finally did it, picking up the '07 2500HD Classic today. The 2001 3500 LB7 (1st generation DMax/truck) has treated me exceptionally well, had some flaky issues but all related to the intro of that engine/truck and none of them insurmountable. All I can say is that the LB7/Allison has been the best powertrain I've ever owned and I'm looking forward to many years with the LBZ.

Decided to go LBZ with the '07 Classic rather than taking the $$$ hit with the new LMM as well as the unknown's regarding the new traps... since. Even if LMM is flawless I can't stomach the additional $3-$4k and I'm not opposed to the current body style. Tomorrow, after delivery I'll update my sig.
    07 GMC 2500HD Classic 4x4 SB CC Duramax
    94 GMC 1500 Z71 EC - 175k miles and going strong
    Previous Truck:
    01 Chevy 3500 CC 4x4 Duramax DRW

Some questions:

1) How many miles did you get on the LB7?
    2) Average observed MPG? (non-towing)
    3) Approximate percentage towing/hauling over 3,000#?
    4) Major repairs covered by warranty (injectors, etc.)
    5) Major repairs not covered by warranty (starter, waterpump, etc.)
    6) Worst thing you ever did to your truck, or asked it to do for you.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker
    Some questions:

1) How many miles did you get on the LB7?
    2) Average observed MPG? (non-towing)
    3) Approximate percentage towing/hauling over 3,000#?
    4) Major repairs covered by warranty (injectors, etc.)
    5) Major repairs not covered by warranty (starter, waterpump, etc.)
    6) Worst thing you ever did to your truck, or asked it to do for you.
    1) 72K - used mostly to haul my camper or tow boat/trailer
    2) 16-17MPG non-towing
    3) 50% time towing/hauling over 3k
    4) Only warranty work was the defective tailgate cables, ABS issue with sensors and the dreadful '01 AirBox issue which caused SEL to come on a lot. All 3 dealers I brought the truck to failed to address the SEL issue (2 replaced the turbo sensor to no avail and 1 blamed it on my aftermkt Foam air filter). When the truck hit 5 years I corrected this once and for all by following JK's steps to modify the 01 Airbox and I haven't had a SEL since.
    5) I did have to replace all 4 rotors at 30K miles. They rusted/pitted so badly they couldn't be turned. I had to eat the cost of this, was told it was due to the fact that I didn't drive it enough and it sat between weekend excursions. Since putting the new rotors on I've made sure I drive it to work at least once a week.
    6) Worst thing I ever did to the truck was replace the OEM OOR tires at 65K miles with Goodyears new Silent Armor 215/85R16E tires. The "best thing since sliced bread" according to my tire dealer. Now these tires do have a very nice ride and great traction and tread held up well but they like to bulge more so than the stock Goodyear Wrangler tires the truck came with. I carry a LARGE truck camper, Arctic Fox 1150 that must be close to 5800 lbs loaded and ready to campe. The stock tires never came close to touching (even at 65psi) but the Silent Armors at 80 psi would touch once I loaded the camper which was unnerving. I could see in the mirrors that they weren't touching while rolling and I checked frequently to see if they ever got hot and they didn't but there's no reason 215 tires on a dually should ever touch! That issue is predominantly GM's ridiculous engineering of the DRW wheels which is pure nonsense to me.

It's a great truck and the next owner will be very lucky to have it since I maintain things meticulously. When I brought it in to trade the dealer wanted it because of it's condition and like new paint/body. This care has finally served me for once since I got to trade it in at $1000 over Kelly Blue Book for the "Exceptional" category and got the new truck at $1000 under invoice and Zero % financing.
    Previous Truck:

Would you share the trade difference between your truck and the new LBZ? I am interested as MRE will be trading at least one of my LB7s this spring, on either a 3500 or 4500 series Duramax.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

If you liked the '01, you're gonna love the new one!

Still hauling the camper? What're you going to use for wheels and tires?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Smile

I'm fully expecting to love this new truck. I loved everything about the Duramax/Allison... about the old truck the things I hated were:

1. GM's limitations on tire choices due to the DRW wheel spacing
    2. DRW ride when empty, if I was to keep the 3500 as a daily driver I would have had to invest $3k into full blown air suspension or something. The roads around Metrowest MA are aweful and my back couldn't take much more driving that truck empty
    3. The length and width of the 3500 Crew Cab Dually was just too much for Boston MetroWest, half the convenient stores and Dunkin Donuts between me and work I couldn't park in and a lot of drive throughs I couldn't make the turn.

So the new truck is shorter, single rear wheels, much "MUCH!!!" better ride empty as today's commute to work can attest and I went down roads I previously could not just because I could. Those were the specifics I was trying to address but on top of that I get:

1. LBZ - quieter and even smoother
    2. Dual climate control so my wife can now crank the heat on her side
    3. Another 130 foot lbs of torque and another 60 hp
    4. Manual shift control which I'm really looking forward to using up in the mountains
    5. I now have a much bigger option of wheels and tires which gets to your 2nd question John.

I've got Alcoa Classic 17"x8" wheels on order for this truck. These are rated at 3450 each and have a max psi of 95 so when pressure increases from heat while hauling I'll be fine. The tires I'm putting on these rims are Nitto Dune Grappler 285/70R17E rated at 3750 each. These tires are M&S rated and look to have an excellent road tread as well, they aren't as aggressive for mud/severe snow as an AT tire but I see very little of that and these should work great on the beaches down the Cape.

The Arctic Fox camper had to go, I traded for a much smaller camper designed for short bed trucks and about least 1200 lbs. lighter. The arctic Fox was an 11.5' camper (42" overhang on a long bed truck) with a loaded weight of around 5800 lbs. That thing was pushing the limits of the DRW 3500.
    Previous Truck:

Smile

One more Huge benefit. I'm registered as a residential plate again in MA meaning:

1. No more annual commercial registration fee of $185
    2. No more pulling over to the slow lane every time I approach a toll booth to get in line behind 18 wheelers
    3. No more getting dinged 200%-300% over what autos pay at the tolls.
    4. I can get a fast lane pass now that can be used in either my wife's car or my truck
    5. Only 4 tires to replace/mount when the originals wear out vs 6

There's a lot of little costs to owning a Dually that add up over time. Simply not getting that registration fee right before X-Mas every year makes it all worth while.
    Previous Truck: