Thread: Engine problem

Default Engine problem

K so I got a 1998 chevy Tahoe 6.5 and it died the other day like someone shut the key off now my lifter pump isn't making any noise my question is if the fsd is burnt out will the lifter pump still engage or does the lifter pump not work without the fsd just don't want to buy unnecessary parts Chevy wants 900 dollars for a fsd expensive part if it's just the lifter pump

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

First, check the fuses.

If the truck was running, then quit like you turned off the key, it isn't likely the FSD. More likely the power source for both, the injection pump and the lift pump. Probably an issue with the ignition switch (or the ign sw. connector). Not an uncommon failure. If it were just the lift pump that failed, it doesn't normally die quickly. Normally, it will just lose power, or die slowly. If a lift pump failure causes instant death, you have way more problems than just the lift pump.

900 bucks for just the driver is insane. They're $2-300 almost anywhere else. Maybe that includes installation? If you replace it, be sure to install it on a heat-sink in a remote location away from engine compartment heat. DIY. It's an easy job.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

x2 on the ignition switch.
    My 98 did the same thing,it was the switch.I was able to back feed mine till i got a switch,just found a spot that wasn't getting power like it should.I hooked up a jumper and the engine started,kept the truck in business till i got a new switch.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the info I got her fixed it was the pmd module and as always did my self for 1/4 of the price then Chevy. On another note I am wondering what my diesel suvs are worth as I have been told the 6.5 was rare in suvs one is a 4 door 1994 Chevy suburban 3/4 tonne stock 6.5 turbo 300 000 km really clean for the year little to no rust fresh rock guard and the other is a 1998 Chevy Tahoe sport (2 door ) 1/2 tonne 400 000 km tons of work done. Really clean body all professionally restored no Bondo all welded and clean paint and rock gaurded trim. I ask cause every Chevy mechanic or Chevy guy at least in Canada says they never seen a diesel sub that is obs unless it's the 80s style 6.2 s thanks any info is appreciated

Sudden engine shut off like that is usually the FSD as you have learned. However, if the lift pump is not running, you will eventually harm your injection pump. Be sure to check out the lift pump and make sure it is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Reganarm View Post
    Thanks guys for the info I got her fixed it was the pmd module and as always did my self for 1/4 of the price then Chevy. On another note I am wondering what my diesel suvs are worth as I have been told the 6.5 was rare in suvs one is a 4 door 1994 Chevy suburban 3/4 tonne stock 6.5 turbo 300 000 km really clean for the year little to no rust fresh rock guard and the other is a 1998 Chevy Tahoe sport (2 door ) 1/2 tonne 400 000 km tons of work done. Really clean body all professionally restored no Bondo all welded and clean paint and rock gaurded trim. I ask cause every Chevy mechanic or Chevy guy at least in Canada says they never seen a diesel sub that is obs unless it's the 80s style 6.2 s thanks any info is appreciated
    Check kijiji diesel suburbans all the time.
    Plenty on craigslist too use search tempest
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi