Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Girdle

I am certainly interested in this.
    I hope anyone that gets more information on these will post it up for all to see. I am curious to know the cost of these things, if he can build more.
    96 Suburban K2500 6.5L TD. High miles and daily driven (for now). Remote mount FSD with cooler, Turbo Master/Boost fooler, 4" Jardine turbo back exhaust, 2.5" cross-over pipe, Boost, EGT, & Tranny temp gauges, working on more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikaroka
    I am certainly interested in this.
    I hope anyone that gets more information on these will post it up for all to see. I am curious to know the cost of these things, if he can build more.

If I am contacted regarding the Girdle and there is information to share, I will.
    Slim

1995 Chevy 2500,4x4, 5 spd, 6.2 .040 over, 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, Ported 6.5 turbo heads,6.5 high pop injectors, Gm-8 turbo ported turbine housing, custom intercooler, gm dual thermo, 130 gph water pump, 3 to 3.5 turbo down pipe to 4 inch exhaust. Custom electronic adjustable waste gate (got the idea from the Honda guys, Thanks), custom frame mount FSD cooler.

I'm using 12.9 cap screws and have installed one set on Blazin when we replaced the engine.(see post, oil in coolant) in seems to be going well and we didn't do any modifcations to the pan. It is made of 3/4" steel. When doing a search for girdles on e-bay they all seemed to be alum., am I not getting something?
    1982 K5 Blazer(Blazin) 4x4, 700r4, start of modified exhaust, 6 inch tall filter breather with 4" snorkel,egt gage, main bearing girdle as seen in gridle thread

1985 Suburban(Labrat) 4x4, 3' dual exhaust, egt gage, opened intake,700r4 with alto clutches, beast sun shell,13 vane pump,and more,others in progress hence the name.

These are pictures of the prototype girdles. They fit on an otherwise unmodified motor, including the pan. The final version still does, but is 3/4 inch thick instead of 5/8 inch. All five mains are covered. Unfortunately, we don't have pictures of the 3/4 inch version because it is 1000 miles into use on the truck, and pictures weren't a priority when the engine was prepared. It seems to work fine. Of course, it takes much longer than 1000 miles to test a girdle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1982 K5 Blazer(Blazin) 4x4, 700r4, start of modified exhaust, 6 inch tall filter breather with 4" snorkel,egt gage, main bearing girdle as seen in gridle thread

1985 Suburban(Labrat) 4x4, 3' dual exhaust, egt gage, opened intake,700r4 with alto clutches, beast sun shell,13 vane pump,and more,others in progress hence the name.

Quote Originally Posted by 82blazer View Post
    These are pictures of the prototype girdles. They fit on an otherwise unmodified motor, including the pan. The final version still does, but is 3/4 inch thick instead of 5/8 inch. All five mains are covered. Unfortunately, we don't have pictures of the 3/4 inch version because it is 1000 miles into use on the truck, and pictures weren't a priority when the engine was prepared. It seems to work fine. Of course, it takes much longer than 1000 miles to test a girdle.
    How will that support the caps if the girdle is not tied into the block?
    Lonnie Diers Extreme Automatics
    1994 Chev 2500HD 532,119 miles 21,300 GCW towing machine.
    Original engine, injectors, replaced head gasket 1 injection pump, 3 turbos

Ready to install ( was ready now changing to 18.1 pistons)
    New engine 4 bolt splayed steel caps
    Lightly ported heads
    Polished intake port matched
    HX35W Turbo
    Intercooler (very efficient tube fin design)
    Marine Injectors hi pop
    Cooling upgrades
    3" DP
    4"exhaust
    remote mount PMD cooler
    Fresh air intake (in the making)
    Gears ???? have not decided looks like 3.42
    250HP at the wheels or bust (maybe both)

The end caps 1 and 5 are very strong as they are fastened to the ends of the block where there is massive amounts of material and the girdle bars tie the whole lot together.
    The best way of course is to do the complete girdle with the cross bolts and anchor everything along the way.

This simple tie bar is still a very worthwhile addition to any 6.5.

One thing that is absolutely a step in the right direction is to lightly chamfer the bolt holes in the block on all the mains especially the center ones.
    The ragged sharp edges in the block are a perfect send off to getting cracks started down the outer bolt holes..

All really great stuff in this thread. Good tech and a step in the right direction.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

In all the pictures posted in the thread (oil in the coolant) all the cracks seen to follow corners in the machine work ie. the piston bore. Robin is rigth that a sharp corner will not stand the pressure of a radius corner. The stress is spread over a larger area. All we can do is try to lessen the damage by rounding and bracing. Blazin has some personal value due to time spent with my son. So it is worth it to me to try. Question: Is the pattern on the mains the same on a 6.2l and a 6.5l?

I would really like to have more information about the roller rockers shown
    Which parts were used?
    What machine work do I have to do?
    Anyone know where to get this info??
    1991 CK2500, 6.2 banks turbo, FourtGear built TH700R4, Dick Cepek 6.5" lift, 35" wheels

Jesel roller rockers were used. The original mounts on the head need to be machined flat to accept the Jesel rocker bases.

The valve covers need to be modified to accept the increased height of the rocker adjusters - or do as Andrew did, and machine a 1/4" aluminum spacer to raise the covers (fits between the covers and the heads).

Jim

Thanks for the info, but more specific which Jesel rockers?

Yes , to machine an aluminium spacer would defenetly be the way to go.

Would it be possible to get in touch with Andrew?
    1991 CK2500, 6.2 banks turbo, FourtGear built TH700R4, Dick Cepek 6.5" lift, 35" wheels

Sorry to be bugging you about this but....

I had a look at the Jesel web page and couldn't find any rockers that looked like the ones used so I asked Jesels tech help to identify them. Answer is that this is not a Jesel rocker setup.

What could it be??

Working from memory sometimes isn't always "completely" accurate. My mistake. So....Here's a quote from Andrew's original article he wrote in 2002... Jim

The stock rocker arm pedestals were machined flat to accept the roller-rocker adapter blocks. The roller-rocker assemblies consist of Comp Cams adjustable stainless steel shaft-mount roller-rocker arms that have been modified for the 6.5 diesel. These assemblies utilize a roller bearing on the fulcrum of each rocker, along with roller tips. Each rocker shaft is .625" in diameter and case hardened to 62C Rockwell. The pushrod adjusters are made by Jesel, and retain the stock 6.5 pushrods.

OK

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by 82blazer View Post
    Is the girdle still doing fine?

Would it be possible to get your drawing for the girdle??

Default girdle print response

The girdle is still there and seems ok. This engine seems quieter but I never heard it before it was put into [I]Blazin[I], we are probably around 3000 miles and have done some towing with it. It is driven almost every day but normally not far my son uses it to go to school. I'll need to locate my drawing and get back with you.

Talking

That would be great

im looking for a girdle also
    1976 m882 shortened with a 6.2 diesel, np205 and sm465 and HMMWV tires
    1992 Jeep YJ wrangler (project) plans are: 6.2 diesel engine, SM-465, Np-205, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear
    1989 GMC suburban, 6.5 TD, TH400, Np-241, dana 44 front , 14bolt rear with Gov locker.
    1997 Kenworth T800, 3406 Cat 575 HP, 18 speed, 4 speed Aux, 3.73 rears
    1986 K30 M1008 6.2 diesel th400 np208 4.56 gears dana 60 front and 14 blt rear

N/A? = Non-Aspirated? Not Available? Needs Air?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Girdle updates?

Hi 82blazer are your the girdles still in use in running trucks? Have you had the opportunity to open up a motor with the girdle installed? It's been a couple of years now and we would like to know the results after the motor was running with the bottom end strengthened up. Thank for the posts.
    1993 sierra 3500 drw, 6.5L DB2831 ground spring, 4000rpm, custom cold air intake, H1C, 3 inch magna flow stainless muffler, remote tranny & engine oil coolers with fans.

Still hoping to have girdle updates, anyone.....

Anyway, heres pics of our first on a 6.5L tdi....

No, sorry no pics yet, I need to first reduce their size to upload...
    1993 sierra 3500 drw, 6.5L DB2831 ground spring, 4000rpm, custom cold air intake, H1C, 3 inch magna flow stainless muffler, remote tranny & engine oil coolers with fans.

Thumbs up Awsome machining

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Slim, If you or anyone else would like to contact Andrew for a block girdle or any other custom machining, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll forward your note to him. I was in contact with Andrew as recently as a couple of months ago. I don't know if he does custom work for others, but it wouldn't hurt to ask... His custom Jesel roller rockers look really cool too!

Jim
    Hey Jim, I would like to see about getting a girdle and roller rockers from Andrew, feel free to send him my contact info.
    Thanks, Dave
    David duPont
    Suburban Auto & Marine Sales Inc.
    spdgofast@comcast.net