Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '07 LBZ Air Intake Roar

Default '07 LBZ Air Intake Roar

Greetings to All:

I am a new owner of an '07 Chevy Classic 2500HD with LBZ, having graduated from an '01 Chevy 2500HD with LB7.

Comparing the LBZ to the LB7, I am noticing a lot more turbo whine with the LBZ, which I attribute to the improved air box on the LBZ.

But I'm also noticing, sporadically, on a "cold" start, an intermittent "roar" under the hood with the LBZ - like the air intake is choked off and the engine is trying to suck a large amount of air thru a small opening.

I've checked thoroughly for any foreign objects, etc. and only noticed the baffle at the passenger fenderwell, near the bumper, was loose in the fenderwell, and that's since been secured by the dealer in its proper location via caulking.

But sometimes I still get this "roar" when taking off, after the truck has set overnite or at the parking lot during the day. Normally, all I ever hear is the turbo whine. Otherwise, the LBZ is so much quieter than the LB7.

Anybody have any idea what this periodic "roar" may be attributed to? Anything to worry about?

BradL07

One major difference from your old DMAX is the cooling fan. I had to change a belt on a 2007 Sierra classic yesterday, What a pain!!! The improved cooling system moves alot more air!!!

Good point Duramaster. I had the same thought but discounted it since the "roar" seemd to occur at "cold" start, if you can have such a thing in Houston.

I assume the cooling fan has to be thermostat activated? So perhaps I may have an electrical glitch there.

BradL07

It's a thermostatically activated fluid clutch. When the truck sits the fluid puddles up and locks the clutch. After a minute or two of running at road speeds the fluid redistributes itself and it unlocks.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Aha....thank you John C, I believe that explains my situation exactly. As you describe, after driving a few miles, the "roar" would be gone. Hard to believe the cooling fan can be that loud at lower speeds, but it definitely is!

have the same thing with mine. I wish there would be a fix for that.
    07 Chevrolet Classic, CC, regular box, Duramax Diesel, Magnaflow dual exhaust and Superchips tuned.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DieselMonk
    have the same thing with mine. I wish there would be a fix for that.
    There is a "fix" for it. Remove the acc. belt. Caution--There will be side effects.

This is nothing new. All fan clutches do it to some degree. "Heavy duty" clutches are more aggressive, so will engage more aggressively, which is compounded by a more aggressive fan. The alternative is poor cooling system performance. GM doesn't want to go there again, and neither do we.

You have two choices. Noisy fan, or overheating while trying to crest a grade in the summer. I've had both, and I'll take the noise every time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I've had my truck for three weeks today. I got the same roar that you are describing for the first time today. I drove another one before I bought this one and it did it also. I would think if is an issue with the fluid in the clutch, it would do it all the time. We have had colder days than today I don't think it is temperature related.

Agreed on the temperature not being an issue - like JohnC says it seems related to "fluid puddling" in the clutch.
    2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD CC SB LBZ Allison 4WD

My 2006 LBZ does it too, but only for about 1/2 mile and only once or twice a week, not every morning. Ed
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

You guys got me thinking yesterday so I paid attention. Every morning I start up my work car and then finish loading up for the day. It's a Ford Taurus and quite loud from the engine compartment area at 6am. This could also be why my wife's 2004 Volvo sounded so loud when I first starting it. Both cars after a minute or so would quite down considerably.

I haven't tested her new VW TDI yet.

I didn't notice anything with the 2007 LMM's I drove, but I could barely hear the motor at all. My wife actually asked if I was sure I was driving a diesel. Apparently, GM didn't lie when they said they added extra sound proofing in the new trucks.
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

I live in Texas and have a 2002 that roars sometimes for about 1 1/2 miles after starting up then quits. I have also noticed it doing it in 102 degree weather while pulling a trailer. Same sound. Fan clutch no doubt.

I got mine in november 2006 and it has done it periodically. Hell, it happened this morning. I live in Miami, where it's 80 degrees by 10 AM and I figured it was the fan. Now I know it's puddling clutch fluid. I would rather hear the sound and know the engine's cool, than see a dash full of Check Engine lights.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A CCLB 4x4 BONE STOCK.

Quote Originally Posted by BradL07

Comparing the LBZ to the LB7, I am noticing a lot more turbo whine with the LBZ, which I attribute to the improved air box on the LBZ.
    The variable vane turbo in the new truck sounds more like a small jet than the older style wastegated IHI.
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

Default Same exact problem.........

I had this happen to me I pulled over one morning and checked it out. I opened the Hood and a 750 lbs Tiger jumped out and took down a neighbor kid on the way to school. I guess it crawled up there to get warm. What a way to start your day.

Seriously, I had this issue with my 454 Sub when it was hot. I am glad I saw it here as I plan to move to Alaska and I will have this most days now I won,t freak out and take the Casull to it. http://www.fishandhunttexas.com/454casull.htm

I did the Banks Monster Exhaust, Banks Intake and Super chip programmer. I noticed the Beast is very quite now.
    Red(Red makes it go faster)2007 2500 HD LBZ
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Banks Cold air intake, Super Chip tuner.
    Banks Sticker 50 extra hp and 60 FT.lbs torque from a sticker awesome.
    500 HP and 780 Ftlbs torque.
    1984 CUCV Chevy Blazer 6.5l Retired Army truck
    awesome in its own way.

Default I found this

I think this explains it all very well.
    http://www.innerauto.com/Automotive_...em/Fan_Clutch/

I guess if things a out of whack then what is happening is the fan is spinning up at full speed. It reduces HP and Torque which is why sometimes it feels as if the car in running over Moleasses. In a sense you car ,truck or what have you is trying to be an Airplane with out wings due to the fan trying to do 3000 rpms as opposed to spinning just fast enough to do its job. I wonder who thinks this stuff up they must be just as strange as me. I saw a truck once it had 350 Chevy it had three electric fans and an electric water pump. I was shocked to see no fan mounted on the engine.

Hope you all enjoyed the link.
    Red(Red makes it go faster)2007 2500 HD LBZ
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Banks Cold air intake, Super Chip tuner.
    Banks Sticker 50 extra hp and 60 FT.lbs torque from a sticker awesome.
    500 HP and 780 Ftlbs torque.
    1984 CUCV Chevy Blazer 6.5l Retired Army truck
    awesome in its own way.

Now that I understand what is happening, I'm not as worried. But still, hate to hear that "roar" a couple times a week after a "cold" start.
    2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD CC SB LBZ Allison 4WD

My new 2007 Silverado Classic also has this intermittent fan roar. It only seems to happen when the truck has not been run for a day or two. Then it happens upon first start.

The roar is amazingly loud even at low speeds. Would anyone here consider this a warranty issue? Or would the replacement fan clutch do the same thing?

Seems like the consensus here so far is that nothing is really wrong but that the design has a short-term, annoying loud noise.

Axle,

As I agree in the annoying department, I don't think there is anything the manufacturer can do unless we want overheating problems like in the past. To me, at least I know the fan/clutch is working and I try to take it easy the first 1 - 1 1/2 anyways.

I live in Miami as well, I bet by noon it is 150+ degrees under the hood and I bet that coil spring has let a lot of fluid in and not out. I couldn't tell you exactly how hot it gets because the thermometer maxes out at around 145 and it is pegged. Once you get going the movement of air cools the clutch and the fan stops spinning.

Annoying and should it happen, probably not. But I'd rather have the noise and not worry about overheating.
    2007 Silverado, 3500HD, 4X4, CC, Long Bed, SRW, LMM Diesel, Navi, DVD, Roll-N-Lock Cover, ICI Running Boards, CoastalEtech GM Lockpick for DVD/Nav changes in Motion, Back-up Camera...

2006.5 VW Jetta Special Edition TDI - Blue Graphite - European Spec VW Fact. Nav Radio.

mine does it too, I took it in for service a while ago, they said GM's stance is as long as it shuts off at normal op temp and turns on if it gets hotter, it's working OK, GM has no need or desire to replace it due to fluid settling during sitting. mine does it randomly now, sometimes in the morning, other times after sitting a few hours during the middle of the day, no rhyme or reason. sounds like a cessna taxiing for a takeoff when it turns on...
    2007 "old body style" GMC 2500HD LBZ 4x4 CCLB
    1967 Kaiser M715 ZZ454/NV4500/NP205/Rockwells