Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How much do you like your 6.5

Red face

Both trucks were around 6K purchases, and I knew they had led 'hard lives' in municipal plowing duty. I got ~180K miles out of the pair. However, I put at least as much back into both trucks over the ~3 years I owned them, in the form of 'non-wearable' repairs like an engine, transmission, and parts/mods listed in more detail below.

Once I found TheDieselPage.com, ALL of the answers were here. As a result, not much money was wasted at dealerships, mostly I had my local shop do the work I couldn't, with information gained here.

Both trucks developed stalling problems at least once, and got externally mounted PMDs and coolers. Both got cooling upgrades in the form of JK's fan clutch and HO water pumps, and one got a dual thermostat setup with the replacement '98 engine. Both got lift pumps and one needed fuel lines replaced due to pinhole leaks.

One had a waterpump literally explode at highway speed, taking out the fan and radiator with it. Alternators and starters didn't last very long - they got abused with LOTS of cold crank sessions. (My 2002 DMax has its stock alternator and starter at 245K, in comparison.)

Both were hard starters in cold weather, even after new glowplugs, glowplug relays, two sets of batteries, cables and connectors. They spent too much time on the other end of jumper cables, portable generators, and HAD to be plugged in below 20F to start at all.

My winter snowplow crew grew very frustrated with this - although they were patient because they knew the investment I had made in the trucks. After the first Duramax showed up, it was hard to get any of them to run the 6.5s!

One got a new transmission, maybe the fault of a reckless snowplow operator - who knows for sure. The rest of the brakes, u-joints, tires, etc etc were all normal wear parts. To their credit, neither needed new injectors, injector pumps or turbos in the time I owned them.

I actually still have a fond spot for the trucks because they taught me so much about diesels and introduced me to this community, but there is no way to rationalize them as cost effective for my business.

The Duramaxes have made up for it, however. They are nearly bulletproof and just keep taking the use and giving back good mileage and maintenance.
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 12-26-2007 at 16:51.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Mark
    You are just too hard on your toys (Sits giggling wildly)

I can understand when you look at it from a business standpoint that the numbers have got to crunch.

I have in the past bought 2 new rigs with 6.5's and this was before this wonderful PAGE came to be.

Any more I snoop out stuff that I can buy cheap that needs loving and coax it home.

In all fairness the 6.5 trucks have given a lot of folks a lot of good miles with minimal bother.

I can certainly understand where Mark is coming from though. The DmaX trucks have had their issues but nothing like the 6.5 trucks did during their teething years.

Mark
    Hope this is a good season for you with Zero brakedowns on the equipment.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks for that info, Mark.

Joe.
    ****WANTED BURNED OUT PMD/FSD MODULES FOR EXPERIMENT. ****

1998 Silverado, 6.5TD, 210k, long bed. 1984 Chevy Customized Van, 6.2.
    1985 Mercedes-Benz SD, diesel, 220k
    1990 Ford, F-250, 7.3 liter, bad engine.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Marine Generator.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Stationary Generator.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Air-cooled Engine.
    2 Briggs/Faryman Diesels to rebuild.

Default 84 sierra classic pick up with 96 code f engine

Hi, i had this engine swap on my truck because of the 6.2 went out, any way trips from here (long beach ca.) to mexico, about 1700 miles and back to cali. and about 3 or 4 times to converse tx, and one to las vegas on january for the convension, plus the one here now days about three wks ago ( note that the trips are from and back to mexico including las vegas) i've put about 30k on this engine and still running strong and i'm happy with it. I'm happy with my 6.5 td only thing it gets hot in cabin.

Talking Maybe the best I have ever owned

I have owned a LOT of vehicles through the years, lots of Toyotas, Mitsubishis, 1 or 2 Nissans, several GM trucks, Olds & Pontiacs & 1 cj5.

I feel comfortable just changing the oil & then letting my wife & kids take it to see family in Oklahoma, about a 2000 mile round trip for everywhere she goes. I have done very little as far as "repairs", mostly has been regular maintenance, now over the course of about 60,000 miles

I like LOTS of METAL when it comes to my family, I can't imagine them being in a sub compact & being t-boned.

It gets around 16 in town & as much as 21-22 on the highway. Hopefully will go up with a few more mods.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat, actually I would like to find a clean 98 or 99 with no rust to be the replacement for this one.
    97 6.5td GMC suburban SLT, 373s, Pinacle 4" exhaust, K&N air filter, synthetic front to back (kid taxi) approx. 170k
    97 CC dually, just got it, no mods, yet. approx. 122k

98 Terry 30' bunkhouse/slide, 6800# empty.

Thanks, Doug

doug@advisorrealtors.com
    www.advisorrealtors.com

i love my 6.5
    1976 m882 shortened with a 6.2 diesel, np205 and sm465 and HMMWV tires
    1992 Jeep YJ wrangler (project) plans are: 6.2 diesel engine, SM-465, Np-205, Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear
    1989 GMC suburban, 6.5 TD, TH400, Np-241, dana 44 front , 14bolt rear with Gov locker.
    1997 Kenworth T800, 3406 Cat 575 HP, 18 speed, 4 speed Aux, 3.73 rears
    1986 K30 M1008 6.2 diesel th400 np208 4.56 gears dana 60 front and 14 blt rear

N/A? = Non-Aspirated? Not Available? Needs Air?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My 6.5 is my first full-size truck and although I love the truck, I have to admit to some frustrations. The random mix of metric and standard fasteners is probably the biggest. And for being such a large vehicle, it is surprising to me how difficult some things are to get to to service them - it is packed tighter than any other vehicle I've owned!
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

(Can I join in the love-in, even though I don't have any 6.5s left?)

My favorite thing about the 6.5L was the adjustability (fuel rates, boost, exhaust) and what it taught me about diesel power.

I will never forget the first drive, after the exhaust, chip, and Turbo-Master were all installed at the same time.

Wow. I was hooked on diesel modifications from that day forward...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Talking Love our Truck

Just wanted to say that even though we are having a heck of a time getting to the bottom of our rough running issues, we sure love our 1994 6.5 Turbo Diesel. We have just finished going through the interior washing and scotchgaurding all the seats, headliner, and trim. Brand new carpet looks great! Even with it running rough, She started up after turning over maybe 3 times after sitting outside for a week at 12 degrees F!
    JoeX87000031

1994 Chevrolet Silverado
    K3500 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    5 Speed Manual
    Crew Cab Dually
    135000 Miles
    F VIN 10000lbs GVW

Smile

Loved my 94 dually. Its been to hell and back, stolen, crashed, you name it, its happened. Sold it to my brother a few years back when he needed a big truck more than me. Well, he still has that old mochine and its looking and running great. I may just get the old girl back one of these days. Cheaper than a new one!
    Drive it like you stole it!
    94 GMC 3500 5-spd, ext-cab Dually 4X4
    Heath exhaust all the way back
    Air Box Mods + K&N
    Heath Remote PMD kit
    Heath TurboMaster
    Heath MAX-E-Tork 2.0
    Autometer Phantom Gauges
    Big Smile on my Face
    Sold and looking for next 6.5 project!

Well, I'm late getting in on this thread. Been away from the DP all summer.
    Still have, and still love the old 95 Burb. Drove it all summer, back home in New England. Love the Dura Max, but can't wait to get back into the Suburban each summer.
    Over 185 K on it now. Still starts with just a bump of the key. That's because of the mechanical injection, of course.
    It'll probably always be right up there at the top of the all-time best that I've owned. Dunno. The 73 Saab Sonnet keeps me on the fence with that decision.
    In all those miles, the list of parts replaced is very short, if you discount the change to mechanical injection, of course. New front disks and pads, one rear wheel bearing, three sets of tires, new AC/heater controls, set of Greg's HD cooler lines, one H4 bulb, one set of injectors, two front-end allignments, and several other incidentals. Just think of all the original stuff still on this thing! Fourteen years old right about now, and still no rust! Only been in the Vermont snow a couple of times.
    Yup. Gotta love the 6.5.
    Bless you all, and glad to be back.
    Dick Wells
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Default Lets keep it going!

Hello All,

Well, Dick was the last to post on this thread back in November 2008!

Thought I would just add that I've been in love with Suburbans since my Dad first had a gasser when I was in High School.

That reminds me. To the Mom's and Dad's out there: If you have a teenage Son or Daughter, Don't lend them the Suburban for date night!

I've always wanted my own Suburban since those old days.

I was looking forward to camping season last year. But gas prices were going through the roof! My 06' F150 5.4 only got 5 MPH pulling the camper. Gas was going close to $5.00 a gallon... Thats $1.00 a mile in fuel cost!

I was also tired of the pick up truck configuration... Musical equipment, groceries, people, dog, were all a pain to load into a pickup cab.

I remebered Dads Suburban. That is the type of vehicle I needed to suit my needs.

I started researching tow vehicles with Diesel Engines (because of better mileage and power over gassers). I was really leaning toward the Excursion, when I discovered the Suburbans came with a Diesel Engine!

Then I found this site. I immediately subscribed.

After hours of reading, and a few questions, I was confident enough to buy my clean '99 (166,000 when I bought it) for 6500.00. It sure beats 11,000- 14,500 for a compairable Excursion!

Yeah, I've had to break my knuckles on the thing a few times, but I knew that going in. But doing research here before I bought the Burb, I knew the main problems, and that the truck is overall very reliable!

I do get frustrated just trying to grease the Damn thing!

But for the price and utiliy of this vehicle, it can't be beat!

It's also my wifes daily driver (makes me jealous that she gets to drive it more than me).

Runs great, good mileage, dependable, always starts without plugging in, even during Michigans wonderfull winter temperatures.

Most of all, I don't worry about my wife while she is driving this economical, reliable and SAFE vehicle.

I've never loved a vehicle before. I do love this Suburban!

Can't wait to do the mods!

When I get this one done (mods done), I'm gettin me another one!

Maybe its like kids... a bit easier after you've learned from the first one!
    Dave

Completely Fried. Toasted. Burned up.
    New 3" down pipe and 4" exhaust new in box.
    '99 Suburban 1500. 8 Lug Wheels.
    Code F (As in Fried) Engine.
    4 Speed Automatic Heavy Duty Transmission.
    3.42 rear axle ratio
    Heavy Duty Trailering Equipment.
    Heavy Duty Auxiliary Transmission Cooling System. 8,050 GVW Rating.
    New Power Steering Pump.
    New Alternator.
    New Wastegate Vacuum Soleniod.
    New Front Blower Motor.
    Plugged rear A/C Lines. Now leaking again. No A/C.
    Newer Fuel Injection Pump.
    Newer PMD with Heat Sink.
    177,000 + Miles.

Simply put, I bought "The Beast" almost 10 years ago to the date with 16,000 miles on it and it's getting ready to turn an actual 200,000 miles soon. The ONLY thing that would tear it out of my hands is either some super riduculous offer or a new Duramax Suburban if and when GM decides to realy release it, and then I'd have to think twice before 'Down Sizing' to the new body style (that is if GM CEO Barrack doesn't put the stops to it).
    Jim Glus, No longer in the Keys. Traded off Latitude for the Altitude of BV, Colorado in order to adjust attitude.

tank140 is offline Landrover defender 140 GMC 6.5 V8 turbo diesel

Default GM 6.5 turbo

HI all

Now i have the beast running like it should its great!!

I have a landrover 142 defender with a new GMC 6.5 turbo fitted in it
    she is great for playing and towing, she has not done many miles since the engine went in i.e. 2k mile .

the next project on her is to fit a Toyota landcrusier VX gearbox ,
    as the landrover one is a old 4 speed with overdrive and it is getting a bit shot at, to many rattles from it and the toyota one will take the HP and torque from the engine better than the rover one

Here are two recent photos one of the engine /turbo instalation

I will give an updated installment to my opinion.

I guess my opinion does carry some weight around here on these issues

I bought my first GM diesel back in the 80's. It was an Olds Cutlass calais with the little 260 diesel. (1979)

It was a lovely little rig. Got 27 MPG on the Hwy and 22 around town.

Had to work on the thing a lot to keep it going but it cost me very little to buy.

The next rig was an 82 Blazer/Jimmy 4x4 with the 6.2
    Ran the wheels off that little beast. Loved it a bunch.

The next rig we got was a 1986 6.2 Burb 2500
    Put a Bazzilion miles on the thing. Never had much issue either.

Bought a 1993 GMC pickup 2500 4x4 Ext cab with the 6.5 (New)
    Had good luck with that rig, traded it off in 94 for a Dually crewcab 4x4 and this truck had the first of the infamous electronic injection systems.

Truck was nice but the problems with the electronics took some of the fun out of it.

Bought a 95 Burb new in August of 95 was on order for 7 months.

Lovely rig, same issues with the electronics though.
    Traded that truck off in 97 for a 95 Burb with a 454 (gas still affordable)

Tried a Ford Powerstroke in 97 SOLD that lemon in 2000 and bought an 86 GMC crewcab 4x4 with a 454.

Loved that beast, hated the mileage.

2004 in the spring saw the 95 Gas Burbs demise due to a broken tie rod and resultant crash.

Then came a return to the diesel Burbs. Bought the 94 that we currently have followed by another that was almost identical. (Had two the same color)

I must be insane for buying all these rigs (and this is only a few that we have owned) Many gassers and other toys)

June of 2007 saw the old 86 crewcab off to a new home and the current DaHooooley come into the family.

Currently 2 6.5 rigs here.

I guess my overall opinion is this. The 6.5 is a good engine but it needs to be in the hands of someone who understands the little beasts and is willing to get their hands dirty from time to time

Certainly not for the individual who knows nothing about what goes on under the hood.

I would if I could buy a brand new 1995 6.5 Burb in a heartbeat if they were available.

With todays technology and the aftermarket to fix the issues they are a great piece of equipment.

Now with the availability of the new engines from AMG/GEP they are most certainly top notch.

Gotta love the 6.5 diesel

Best

Robyn
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default 6.5 turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    I will give an updated installment to my opinion.

I guess my opinion does carry some weight around here on these issues

I bought my first GM diesel back in the 80's. It was an Olds Cutlass calais with the little 260 diesel. (1979)

It was a lovely little rig. Got 27 MPG on the Hwy and 22 around town.

Had to work on the thing a lot to keep it going but it cost me very little to buy.

The next rig was an 82 Blazer/Jimmy 4x4 with the 6.2
    Ran the wheels off that little beast. Loved it a bunch.

The next rig we got was a 1986 6.2 Burb 2500
    Put a Bazzilion miles on the thing. Never had much issue either.

Bought a 1993 GMC pickup 2500 4x4 Ext cab with the 6.5 (New)
    Had good luck with that rig, traded it off in 94 for a Dually crewcab 4x4 and this truck had the first of the infamous electronic injection systems.

Truck was nice but the problems with the electronics took some of the fun out of it.

Bought a 95 Burb new in August of 95 was on order for 7 months.

Lovely rig, same issues with the electronics though.
    Traded that truck off in 97 for a 95 Burb with a 454 (gas still affordable)

Tried a Ford Powerstroke in 97 SOLD that lemon in 2000 and bought an 86 GMC crewcab 4x4 with a 454.

Loved that beast, hated the mileage.

2004 in the spring saw the 95 Gas Burbs demise due to a broken tie rod and resultant crash.

Then came a return to the diesel Burbs. Bought the 94 that we currently have followed by another that was almost identical. (Had two the same color)

I must be insane for buying all these rigs (and this is only a few that we have owned) Many gassers and other toys)

June of 2007 saw the old 86 crewcab off to a new home and the current DaHooooley come into the family.

Currently 2 6.5 rigs here.

I guess my overall opinion is this. The 6.5 is a good engine but it needs to be in the hands of someone who understands the little beasts and is willing to get their hands dirty from time to time

Certainly not for the individual who knows nothing about what goes on under the hood.

I would if I could buy a brand new 1995 6.5 Burb in a heartbeat if they were available.

With todays technology and the aftermarket to fix the issues they are a great piece of equipment.

Now with the availability of the new engines from AMG/GEP they are most certainly top notch.

Gotta love the 6.5 diesel

Best

Robyn
    Roybn- Please tell me what amg/gep is. I need a 6.5 asap. Please reply or richacton@gmail.com or 719-207-1750 - anything would help, newbie(bvelectric) Thanks

'94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

AM General (Manufactures the HMMWV for the military) AMG
    General engine products GEP

The new optimiser 6500 and the P400 are the latest incarnation of the 6.5 diesel.
    Redesigned block, heads, crank. The P400 has a total lower end main cap girdle assembly plus the block casting is of a better material (so we are told)

The P400 is a lovely engine but Pricey $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A good solid 929 or 599 casting 6.5 block that has little or no carcks and then has had the center main bolts inserted would be a great foundation.

Add to this a forged crank (peninsular diesel) and some new heads. ( I like the ones from Clearwater cyl head)

This would make a perfect build IMHO

Now if $$$$$$$$$ are no object then the P400 would be sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

6.5 diesels get into your blood then there's no getting away,.
    i have a MGW wannabe dually with the same fancy wood interior, consoles, flares, cab extender thingy with a wing,. sunvisor. It's canadian camouflage in color, with red interior, it has 131,000mi and recently it developed a terminal type problem, 1 hole quit working and is pressurising the crankcase pumping oil everywhere, but it made it home nearly 500mi using 9 gals or oil,.and yesterday when it was F-F-F-F...ahem,.. Freezing cold -30c or so,. after two glows, it fired off as usual on its lumpy 7 cylinders,.went to my friends shop pulled intake and lines to see if mebbe it was something really easy like a skewed rocker arm,. but no ,. so i,ve a line on another engine,.and i'll be transferring all my stuff over to make the old girl go again,.
    I still love the truck,. but i,m almost ashamed to say,. i,d love it more with a LB7 and an allison in it,..(and 3:21's) I like the style of the 92-2000 trucks more than the later models,

Nick

Default Love that Suburban

I fell in love with the 6.5 while in the service of the FDNY.
    We use them as Battalion Chief Cars and utility trucks. But I really wanted one after 9/11. At ground zero they were left running day and night with out a hitch, all you could hear was that old familiar sound purring away in the silence of the aftermath.
    Had to have my own.
    America Love it or Leave!
    1999 Cheverolet K2500 Suburban 4X4 LT
    Hybrid Diesel/Vegetable Oil conversion by me
    In Memory of My Fallen FDNY Brothers
    Never forget Never Forgive