Thread: High Capacity Oil Filters

Default High Capacity Oil Filters

Have tried several brands of high capacity oil filters for my last few oil changes. Specifically the K&N HP-6002 and Acdelco PF932. Was hoping to make it an even 8 quarts for an oil change. My experience is that these 2 only let me add about a half quart or less to bring the level to the full mark. A full extra quart would go well past it. These filters are huge, nearly twice as long as the stock one. I would like to hear from anybody who is/has used a high capacity filter and what your results were. Thanks.
    '95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500, reg cab, long box, 2x4, 4L80E, 3.73 ratio, VIN F, L65, 120K. Mods: DE 4" exhaust/crossover, WW2, PMD relocate, Dmax fan/clutch, HP air filter, Fluidampr, B&M Trans/Diff covers.

Arrow

If you want to increase your oil capacity, do something positive for the system, and the engine as a whole. Install a larger external oil cooler and lines.

"High capacity" oil filters are rarely a full quart by themselves, so going from standard to high capacity isn't, obviously, adding a quart (contrary to marketing claims). Rarely do they add a pint. A test some years back showed that Fram's "high capacity" oil filter was only that: high capacity. The filter, disassembled, showed their same "regular" filter element, in a larger can. They may be good for something, unless you don't change them often (enough): they reduce the velocity of the oil as it passes through (if they do, in fact, have increased media area). This may have benefits, but are the benefits actually improving oil filtration? Perhaps, minimally. Is it something we need? Regular maintenance with quality (and correct) products is much more beneficial, IMO.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

"The filter, disassembled, showed their same "regular" filter element, in a larger can." That was my next question....even if a full quart couldn't be added would it still be beneficial to use the larger filter since it would have more filter media in it? Seems this is not the case, at least for the Fram. Might have to cut open a few and see what is inside....or just use a quality stock one. Thanks Dmax for the info.
    '95 GMC Sierra 6.5TD C2500, reg cab, long box, 2x4, 4L80E, 3.73 ratio, VIN F, L65, 120K. Mods: DE 4" exhaust/crossover, WW2, PMD relocate, Dmax fan/clutch, HP air filter, Fluidampr, B&M Trans/Diff covers.

I've used Wix 51060 standard filters for the past 14 years on my Tahoe. I change the oil every 3,000 miles. Only 7 quarts, small oil filter, and high soot = frequent oil changes.

I'm at 354K miles on my 6.5L right now. The engine internals (including head gaskets) are all stock and original.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I have been using Donaldson filter and realy like them. Not any larger but are efficient.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arveetek and a5150nut....thanks for the replies. And Dmax, thanks for the info on these "high capacity" oil filters.