Thread: DB2 4911 pump rebuild.

Default DB2 4911 pump rebuild.

Alright so I just got a 6.5 turbo setup and was given the 4911 pump and matching injectors. The pump still has the black tag on it so I’m assuming it needs the head and rotor. I’ve been calling around looking for a affordable rebuild cost and everything I’ve heard is in the $900-$1600 range. That’s not a price I can afford. Does anyone know of a rebuild service in the $500 range or should I buy a rebuilt pump like the one linked below.
    https://cdi-llc.myshopify.com/produc...6-5-idi-650-00
    Or should I just run the pump as is. It was running when it came off the motor. Not sure if it was hard starting or not. Let me know what you think
    Thanks, Hunter

EDIT: forgot to add. All this is going on a 6.2 J code engine if that makes any difference.

In case I’m mistaken here is the tag on the pump. Serial no is 7455037
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am not familiar with CDI

Here is a link to a shop in Portland Oregon that I have used many many times over the years.

They are a certified STANADYNE shop and their work is impeccable ...

http://www.dfispdx.com/

Give these folks a call and get a rough estimate and the see if the shipping to and from plus rebuild is all worthwhile...

Tell them what you are building and they can adjust the fuel delivery accordingly while they have the pump on the test bench...

Have fun
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks for the info. I gave that shop a call and they are still in the $900 range but he told me something no one else has. He said to run the pump first to make sure it even has an issue. He also told me that when he changes the head and rotor on these pumps he does not change the plate and the only knowledge of the pump being updated is between him and the owner. So he said he thinks there is a good chance someone else did the same and it could be updated. That sounds like a good plan to me! I will just run it for a while and go from there. I don’t like down time because of something I should’ve done sooner but I don’t wanna drop $900 on something if I don’t need to.
    Thanks
    Hunter

I agree.... Give it a go and see what shakes ...

The folks at the shop are pretty straight shooters....

I use them for all my pump and injector needs.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Hi Hunter,
    I agree with Robyn and the repair guy you talked to.
    If there is any issue, I'd give these guys a call too.

Craigville Diesel Service,
    Craigville, IN. (near Ft Wayne, IN)
    260-565-3184

As farmers, my family and other farmers have used these folks since the 70's.
    They know their stuff. It's been a while since I had a DB2 pump worked on, so I don't know if they are priced in the ball park or not.

Good Luck, I hope it doesn't need anything!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

The issues with price on rebuilding one of these pumps is simple... There is no way to know whats up in the pump until its all apart on the bench and the tech can get eyes on it.

Some pumps need little in the way of hard parts to make them ready for prime time.

Others can need a head assembly, advance piston bore sleeved, advance solenoid, shut off solenoid plus all the seals and such.

If a pump has been fed a diet of crap fuel that's full of dirt and such all bets are off.

I have seen pumps with 50 K miles that were little more than paperweight...and others with 200 K that needed just a little love and they were ready to head back into the battle.

All depends on what they been fed in the way of fuel.

I have seen guys running 6.2's on a mixture of old crankcase oil and a touch of gasoline mixed in to thin it a tad

YES IT WILL WORK..... Certainly not ideal.

The ULSD is not stellar when it comes to lubricity, but some additive helps.

The biggy though is CLEAN FUEL.....DIRT IS A KILLER.

The filters normally used on these engine are in the 5 micron filtration range.

Drop that to a 2 micron filter and the fuel is far better for the internals of the pumps.

The super fine abrasive crap that gets into the fuel literally GRINDS the parts to death...just takes time is all.

WATER IS A KILLER TOO

Any water allowed into the system can and will etch some of the metal parts.

A USED PUMP without a track record is a crap shoot.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY