Thread: Rusted fuel line, metal to rubber?

Default Rusted fuel line, metal to rubber?

So I am new to the 6.5 Diesel and need some help. I have a 95 k2500 4x4 and got a DTC code 35. I figured it was PMD as its never been relocated. I ordered the kit to move it behind the bumper as well as a fuel lift pump. I went to go replace it tonight only to find the line is seeping diesel due to severe rust (Ohio salt). My question is can I use rubber fuel line to replace all the rusted metal line? It looks to be 3/8 and 5/16 or 1/4.
    I tested the pump and it is bad or the OPS is bad, either way I am replacing both of them. My plan is to go to napa and buy the ends that will fit the fuel pump and then clamp rubber fuel line on and run it to the fuel filter and tank.
    Anyone done this? Any tips? pros cons?

As always this newbie greatly appreciates any and all help. I did a search and maybe I didn't use the correct word combination but didn't find anything pertinent.

You are on the right track with the rubber fuel line and clamps,although do yourself a favor and get some fittings for the LP and fuel sending unit.

papco part number 905-352 =3/8*4 inches 16mm nut
    papco part number 905-350 =5/16*4 inches 14mm nut.

I also found some dorman part #'s for the similar style fittings for those in the US:
    Dorman:
    part #800-170 3/8" straight

part #800-231 5/16" -90 degree

Also google "OPS relay mod" and install for long term reliability-AC Delco ONLY for OPS replacement.
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

There is already a rubber line between the LP and the fuel bowl. It connects the steel line to the lift bowl. Mine actually got a kink in it over time, so I replaced it with two pieces and a 90* fitting.
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _
    '96 6.5TD GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 - 300,000 miles, JK remote FSD, Dual Thermostats

I am in the middle of replacing my rusted tank and rusted rear fuel and brake lines on my 1999 suburban 4x4

I ran 3/8 and 5/16 steel line (bent it my self) to replace the feed and return fuel lines that go above the rear axle, if i had it to do over again i would have run fuel injection hose from the just before the axle line union all the way to the tank.
    I was told injection line is much stronger and more resistant to wear.
    It looks like it is.

The flex fuel lines from the frame to the engine was also badly rusted at the factory crimps for the those two lines, check that too...

Also check your brake line up above the axle where it connects to the flex line to the axle, that is where mine was ready to rust out!
    You don't want to lose your rear brakes on the road!

Again, if i had to do it again i would have spent the extra $$ and bought the pre bent steel brake lines, it was a pain in the @#@# bending the line my self and took much time to do it right.
    But if money is tight and you have the time and tools, go for it.

As for SS brake lines i was told that the flares seep fluid and to stay with reg steel lines for the brake system.

Hope this helps

Search out this brake line from local vendors-it is the best I have ever used,but pricey.
    Lifetime warranty makes it 1 and done though:
    http://catalog.fmsiinc.com/viewitems...l-brake-lines?
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

i replaced all the metal fuel lines on my truck 94eclb4x4 with rubber and added a big fuel filter,.
    been a couple of years now,. still good.
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

I tried rubber lines, and found that even the lines that are rated for diesel fuel will get softer after a few years. There are flexible lines you can get from a home oil burner supply house that last much longer.
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

Default fuel injection hose

Thanks for the reply
    I wound up using fuel injection hose for the engine to line and line to tank runs...
    I was told it is much more durable than reg fuel hose...
    What do you think?
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 4x4
    Stock 6.5 With 4'' Exhaust, 149,500 Miles
    Axle ratio, had 4:10, Now 3:42 posi rear

Should work great as long as it is diesel compatible.
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB