Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LB7 Head Gasket Installation

Question LB7 Head Gasket Installation

Got a 01 with 190000 + miles and time to do head gaskets, looking for any tips, where to get parts and tools and maintenance tips for this job.

Thanks!

Arrow

As it stands right now, your best bet for srvice info would be the factory service manuals. All tools, sealants and procedures are called out in the manual. I'll be doing a Duramax head gasket replacement before long, and the related story will appear here in the Page once completed.

Jim

have an 02 Lb7, just put head gaskets on mine, have part #s and list of tools you need, most expensive tool is a inj. sleave puller, it is a little pricey but worth every dollar! works great, Eddie

If you get set up to where i can send you a private message, will be happy to give you my number and tell you all about it! just a few tricks to know, as i said been there done that! Eddie

Can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to service manuals? I have tried Helm, Inc. and ebay, both with no results. Any other good sources?
    1991 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, 6.2L. 125,000 miles -Sold

2007 Chevrolet Silverado LBZ - R.I.P

2001 Chevrolet Silverado LB7-- Sold

2011 GMC Sierra, LML- 39,000 miles. All stock

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by lmholmes11 View Post
    Can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to service manuals? I have tried Helm, Inc. and ebay, both with no results. Any other good sources?
    www.alldatadiy.com
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default head gasket

Quote Originally Posted by dr.olds View Post
    have an 02 Lb7, just put head gaskets on mine, have part #s and list of tools you need, most expensive tool is a inj. sleave puller, it is a little pricey but worth every dollar! works great, Eddie
    You can send any info to rikbrowner@aol.com, could also send ya a phone number, would be nice to talk to some one who has done this. Me I'm a helicopter mechanic, should be able to do this with a manual, tools and some time!

Thanks

Default Factory Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    As it stands right now, your best bet for srvice info would be the factory service manuals. All tools, sealants and procedures are called out in the manual. I'll be doing a Duramax head gasket replacement before long, and the related story will appear here in the Page once completed.

Jim
    Did you get your manuals from a Dealer? I tried www.alldatadiy.com
    found some good info on part numbers but not much on heavy maintenance (head gasket replacement)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rikbrowner View Post
    Did you get your manuals from a Dealer? I tried www.alldatadiy.com
    found some good info on part numbers but not much on heavy maintenance (head gasket replacement)
    There's only 2 places to get original "factory" manuals (other than used from Ebay, etc.). www.helminc.com (books), and www.alldatadiy.com (online subscription). Both are exactly the same, only Alldata is updated frequently after purchase. Choose your convenience, according to your wallet. I prefer the searchable database of Alldata, and it's much more compact. A LOT less $$, too. If you didn't find R/R/R procedures at Alldata, you didn't look in the right place. I use it for several models nearly every day.

The Haynes and Chilton manuals are very useful if rolled up and stored in the water closet.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

You might try a few of the diesel magazines. DieselWorld or DieselPower did a tech article on head gasket replacement. I know you have to replace the studs because they stretch during install. Also need to pay attention to gasket size. I believe there are 4 different sizes. Anyway the article lists part numbers and even the speciality tools that are required. Really good info with lots of tech data. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck. Tim

Talking head gaskets

there are 4 different sizes if you need to know how to tell them apart let me know i have the stamp pattern and all the info that you will need i am a GM Master Diesel Tech

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    There's only 2 places to get original "factory" manuals (other than used from Ebay, etc.). www.helminc.com (books), and www.alldatadiy.com (online subscription). Both are exactly the same, only Alldata is updated frequently after purchase. Choose your convenience, according to your wallet. I prefer the searchable database of Alldata, and it's much more compact. A LOT less $$, too. If you didn't find R/R/R procedures at Alldata, you didn't look in the right place. I use it for several models nearly every day.

The Haynes and Chilton manuals are very useful if rolled up and stored in the water closet.
    THANKS, LOOKED AGAIN AND FOUND IT, STILL ADJUSTING TO PAPERLESS MANUALS.

NutNbutGMC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mastertech View Post
    there are 4 different sizes if you need to know how to tell them apart let me know i have the stamp pattern and all the info that you will need i am a GM Master Diesel Tech
    I wish you lived in my area. It's hard to find a service dept with a qualified mechanic.

Nice of you to offer up.

I've got alldata pro and wouldn't go back to paper manuals. GM releases service manual updates quite often and you won't find those in the book.

Also let me know if you want to do studs as I sell ARPs.

NutNbutGMC Guest

Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rikbrowner View Post
    You can send any info to rikbrowner@aol.com, could also send ya a phone number, would be nice to talk to some one who has done this. Me I'm a helicopter mechanic, should be able to do this with a manual, tools and some time!

Thanks
    Hey , Eddie here, been out of the game for a while, I will send you a phone number to night when i get home, take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jbplock View Post
    And the author of that article happens to be a Diesel Page guy!
    Owner, Phil's Auto Clinic, Hemet, CA, 1997 Napa/ASE tech of the year

2001 D/A Crew cab long bed, Edge Juice w/Attitude Monitor, Banks Exhaust, S&B intake, BD exhaust manifold, 152k miles, 2nd set of injectors 06/25/07

2000 Powerstroke Ford Club cab short bed, Edge Juice w/Attitude Monitor, 5" exhaust, S&B intake