Thread: MAF flow effects

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    do you have some way of measuring plenum temps? This whole thread, and the other sure has me wanting to go out and by a new set of lawn darts. Are you sure you were talking to a Banks rep? So far, nothing that you refer to banks makes sense to me. Are you referring to IAT? If so, that is measured at the MAF sensor, not the intake, and yes, of course that will change if you mess with MAF orientation (the nuttiest idea yet IMO). But more importantly, is has nothing to do with EGR. Your IAT is the temp of air entering the box, way upstream of any egr interaction.

Lets go back.

If you have the stock tube, and the MAF is in the stock location, NOTHING that you do to modify your intake upstream of the element is going to change your MAF reading. I repeat, nothing.

This whole idea that a free flowing intake will change your MAF reading for a given boost and rpm setting, is TOTAL BS. That is what the idiotic intake manufacturer morons want us to believe, and believe you me, there is no truth to it. "flows more air"? Not a chance.

I'll help clear up MAF tuning in a diesel. If your MAF is down (significantly), whether it be because of a boost malfunction, or MAF sensor degradation, or any other mishap, fuel will be limited in proportion according to a histogram matrix that sees to it. Very simple, not complicated. Oil coating the sensor could be such an event. Oxidation of the hot wire, another.

If you want to check it, just get onto someone with EFILive and log it. You should see 48-58 lb/min airflow (stock MAF location) in 90 degree weather, near 800 ft above sea level, using stock WOT boost settings and 3200 rpm. I will bet you fall into this category.
    If you are frustrated try to put yourself in my shoes; and now I have to avoid being impaled by lawn darts! Really if it were your truck, which towed really well with only an Edge Juice with Attitude, and you read all the attributes of adding a performance cat back system and adding some cooler air on forums like this; then put them on your truck only to find that it didn't pull nearly as well and ran higher water and EGT temps. ,what would you do. I came to this forum to try get some help in fixing the problem; plain and simple. I may not be any very good at conveying my thoughts or questions; we all have our limitations; but I try to do the best I can. I don't know what else to offer other than if contributors here really want to help, please try to tolerate some of my lack of expertise.

Anyway to try to respond to your post:
    Yes the person I talked to was a Banks representative and when we spoke he consulted others at Banks for support of the discussion.
    As for where the air temp sensor is I don't think that the information is in the Edge literature. One thing is for sure it is not in the intake tube and taken by the MAF because the temp is always at least 25 degrees (a bit less now) higher than the ambient and I have seen it 100 degrees higher than ambient when pulling hard with the current setup. I do not have data on the highs before the cold air and exhaust install.
    I am not sure I agree with your statement that nothing you do with the MAF in the stock position can change the MAF reading. I would think that if modifications have in some what hurt power in a high load situation (ie excessive throttle opening position vs normal MAP) some odd things could occur, doknow.
    I really don't think the intake flows more air nessesarily, but it is cooler and I have tested on other vehicals and found that modifications can actually lower water column readings in the air box and intake tube locations.
    Nearly forgot; I installed the MAF with the orientation the same as stock and have not rotated it to see if there was any percievable change in performance.
    Also after stateing that I got no codes my wife got a Mass or volum air flow circuit range performance code yesterday and today. Not sure but something like P0101?? It's cleared now so I can't access it anymore.
    I had cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner after removing the K&N.
    I don't have access to EFIlive.
    Amazeing to me that you can place the MAF in such a high flow area and see no change in performance; worse or better.
    I'd still like to know if you can check the EGR valve position with a volt meter to see if what Banks said is correct about it staying closed.
    I'll rotate the MAF tomorrow for grins to see what havoc that provokes.
    I'll also call Banks with the results and see what their take is.
    Last edited by moss6; 09-18-2007 at 17:10.