TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2014 - TDP's 19th Year
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Member Forums > Member's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Member's Forum The Diesel Page Member community forum. General discussion forum for topics not necessarily focused on diesels.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast

Unhappy Balance brake drums

Anybody ever felt the need to balance their brake drums? I've had a vibration in the Suburban rear for a number of years. Had the driveshaft balanced, tires balanced and rotated (same vibration with previous set of tires), replaced shocks. I have the massive 3/4 ton, 13" brake drums that weigh a bunch and thought that maybe these might be the culprit. Any thoughts?
Mark Chapman DP member #653;
1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, no lift, 32" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
1994 K1500 6.5, mods slowly coming along
1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

Last edited by Subzilla; 03-20-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

There could be a possibility that the drums are out of balanced, problem is I am not aware of any way of balancing them.
They wouldn't fit on a tire balance machine and the you have no way of calibrating the machine for the drums.
The drums are generally balanced for life, if you think they are out then you would have to replace them.

97 Chevy Tahoe 2Dr 6.5 Kennedy Exhaust Pipes w/Homemade Resonator and Flowmaster Muffler, Turbo Tech intercooler and Kennedy/Westers computer
01 Sunline 2363 Travel Trailer
Old 03-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

If you can find one of the "aviation balancers" with the bubble level on top, you should be able to balance the drums after a lot of trial and error as to how much weight must be added or removed. I don't know how you'd add metal and have it stay in place, except maybe by running beads with a welder.

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributor

See if you can find a place that balances the wheel and tire while mounted on the car. This approach would balance the entire rotating assembly. You may also try Match mounting the tires. This is a process where the wheels are balanced, marked and the tire is mounted appropriately. You may have a wheel problem.
2001 Excursion 2WD V10 formerly owned 99 K2500 6.5TD Sub 4.10 8600 GVWR,Spearco Intercooler, JK Isspro guages,Hayden SD fan clutch, Racor 645 30 mic, clean cat, JK FSD cooler,JK Boost Ctrl,JK HL relay, Optimas, rblt trany & transfer case, B&M Tranny cooler w/fan,200k miles, Prodigy, 05 Jayco Eagle 308 FBS.

Last edited by jspringator; 03-20-2006 at 03:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Contributor

Have you considered very, very, very carefully suspending the vehicle on jacks and spinning the wheels to see if you can locate what might be out of balance?

Sometimes watching a vehicle run down a smooth highway from behind will show an out of balance, bad wheel, or very slightly bent axle visually.

Do you know someone will a well balanced set of wheels and tires you can put on your vehicle to eliminate tires and wheels as the cause?

On my Toyota Tundra I had pulsating brake discs when stopping. Heat warped, right? I had the front end realigned and it dissapeared! Something to do with alignment and the tire/road contact affected the brakes! New one on me!

Just thinking!

'06 LBZ Crew, 4x4, short bed, SnugTop Shell & 23' 22H Nash T.T.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast

I would think a machine shop that balances crank shafts could do it.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, what JOEY D said, they might have to make an adaptor to mound the drum on, then they could spin balance it with a strobe, the old fashion way. To add or subtract weight you'd basically have to treat it like a crankshaft and drill and add heavy metal to increase or drill out or grind off to reduce. I guess I've really never heard of a brake drum being that bad out of balance though.
02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Contributor

The drum should have been balanced from the supplier BUT you know how that goes. Almost any tire balancing equipment should work. Got a good chuckle out the of "aviation balancer" comment but it'd work. If using an electronic machine have the operator set it to static rather than the 2 plane dynamic balance that is usually used. FWIW, wheel, tire, brake drum imbalance/out-of-roundness is usually a low frequency shake in the 12-14Hz range at say 50-60 MPH. Driveshaft speed disturbance is more of a buzz in the 40-50 Hz range at that speed and can almost be felt as a booming in the ears. Hard to find but a reed tachometer is very helpful in isolating components. GM dealers have an electronic version.

stumo