Lots of interesting replies in this thread -- I am considering a 6.2L diesel swap for my GMC Safari van... I use it in my taxi business... 84Blazer mentioned a cabbie talking about gasoline costs and wondered why GM never built 6.5 diesel Caprices for taxi specials... #1 Reason - EPA's EcoNazis and the rest of the tree-hugging, earth-worshipping yuppie world.

Truth be told, quite a few (number unknown) FBI fleet-package Impalas were factory fitted with either the 5.7 Olds or the 6.2 Detroit somewhere around 80-84. My guess would be that leftover warranty 5.7s went first... One of these cars is on YouTube.

I had been considering a swap using a 3.9L Isuzu NPR truck engine, but plans tend to change when your bread and butter unexpectedly dies, and you have to get creative.

It actually seems the 6.2 will actually be a better/easier swap than a 3.9L Isuzu. No trans adapters required, uses standard Chevrolet engine mounts, and no electronic or emissions BS like the 4.3 V6 I currently have.

Truthfully, from my research, I wouldn't be scared to use a 4.3 V6 Oldsmobile diesel (they were the best of the three, having 14 head bolts) with a 200-4R or 700-R4 automatic overdrive.... but these diesels are hard to find, and I already have a 6.2.