Great info Edahall, I tried to PM you but I did not see the option to in this forum. If you could email me or something that'd be great! surfphotosd at gmail dot com.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
Here’s what I did to get 30 mpg (US) on my 82 Suburban.

1. I used 1982 heads with small pre-combustion chambers and large valves. These heads get the best gas mileage but suffered from cracking. Of course mine had cracks in between every valve seat so I installed liners between each valve seat.
2. Ported / polished the heads
3. Stan’s Headers – Made a big difference in power since stock power was 130 hp
4. Free flowing exhaust – Dual 2-1/2” with H-pipe and Thrush tube mufflers.
5. DSG Timing Gear
6. Ported / polished J code intake manifold
7. 700R4 automatic with overdrive
8. 3.08 rear end
9. Tall & skinny tires – 30x9.50 with 50 psi of pressure

And of course, the most important, an easy foot. To achieve 30 mpg, I have to keep it under 60 mph. Over that, it drops off rapidly with the square front end on the Suburban. For example at 75, it’ll drop down to about 23 mpg. The 75 mph gas mileage can be increased considerably with aero mods but I rarely drive that speed so I have not done any aero mods on my Suburban.

>> Unfortunately because of CA dmv I cannot do a Cummins swap.
I don’t believe the 88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer was ever offered with a diesel in the U.S. So technically, CA DMV won’t allow installing any diesel. However, if you push the right buttons, I believe you can get it through even with a Cummins. PM me if you’re serious about doing this swap and I’ll tell you how.